初中课外英语读物(txt+pdf+epub+mobi电子书下载)


发布时间:2020-08-01 08:08:58

点击下载

作者:东方闻睿

格式: AZW3, DOCX, EPUB, MOBI, PDF, TXT

初中课外英语读物

初中课外英语读物试读:

Part 1.日常用语 (Daily Expnessions)

第一部分 功能用语

Functional ExpressionsUnit 1 Greelings招呼问候

★同某人打招呼 (greeting somebody)

Hi! (用于熟悉人之间)

Hello!

你好!

Hello,old chap!

你好,老朋友!

Hi (Hello) there, Zhang Li!

你好,张莉!

Howdy (How do you do?) my dear friend?

你好,我亲爱的朋友!

Small world, isn’t it?

又见面了。

Ah, Li liang. Just the person I wanted to see.

啊,李亮。我正想找你。

Fancy seeing you here.

真想不到在这儿遇见你。

Haven’t seen you for ages.

好久不见了。

What brings you here today?

今天什么风把你吹来啦!

Morning! (早上见面用语)

Good morning! 你好!

How are you?

你好吗?

Pleased to meet you again.

很高兴又见到你。

This is a pleasant surprise!

What a pleasant surprise!

真没想到会遇见你!

Afternoon! (Good afternoon!) (午后见面用语)

Evening! (Good evening!) (晚上见面用语)

你好!

Glad to meet you here.

很高兴在这里见到你。

Glad to see you again.

很高兴又见到你。

Haven’t seen you for some time.

好久不见了。

How nice to see you again.

真高兴又见到你。

Long time no see!

好久不见了!

I’m so glad you could come.

你能来我很高兴。

How are you?

你好!

I’m glad to have had the opportunity to meet you here.

很高兴有机会在这里与你见面。

Madam. 夫人。

Sir 先生。

★ 问候某人(asking after somebody)

Are you better now?

你现在好点了吗?

Are you feeling better today?

你今天觉得好点了吗?

Are you well?

你好吗?

How are things going with you?

你过得怎么样?

How is everything at home?

家里一切都好吗?

How was your vacation?

你假期过得怎么样?

Anything new?

近来怎样?

How are you making out?

你过得怎么样?

How goes it?

近来怎么样?

I hope all goes well with you!

我想您一切都好吧!

★ 说明你近况(stating how you are)

All right, thank you.

很好,谢谢你。

Much better, thank you.

好多了,谢谢你。

Well, not too good yet. Better than I was though.

嗯,还不太好。不过比以前好点了。

Bearing up, bearing up.

马马虎虎。

Can’t complain.

还过得去。

Could be better, but not bad.

没有预期的那么好,不过还不坏。

Fine, just fine.

很好,很好。

Getting along splendidly.

过得很好。

I’m on top of the world, thanks.

我现在幸福极了,谢谢。

Oh, the usual rounds.

哦,老样子。

Same as ever.

同以前一样。

So-so, thanks.

马马虎虎,谢谢。

I’m very well indeed, thank you.

我确实很好,谢谢您。Unit 2 Introductions介绍相识

★介绍某人(introducing somebody)

Let me introduce you to my friend Mr. Hou Jie.

让我给你介绍一下我的朋友侯杰先生。

May I introduce Mr. Zhao Ming?

我来介绍一下赵明先生好吗?

Allow me to introduce Mrs. Jones.

请允许我给你介绍一下琼斯夫人。

This is comrade Zhu Xin —headmaster of our school.

这位是朱新同志,我们校长。

Meet my brother Tom.

见见我的兄弟汤姆吧。

Look, here’s John! John — Tom, Tom — John.

瞧,约翰来了!约翰,这是汤姆;汤姆,这是约翰。

★自我介绍(introducing yourself)

Excuse me. I don’t believe we’ve met. I’m Liu Hai.

对不起。我想我们以前没有见过面,我是刘海。

How do you do? I don’t think we’ve met before. My name’s Divid Forest.

你好,我想我们以前没有见过面,我的名字叫大卫·福雷斯特。

Hello? This is Chen Hua speaking.

喂? 我是陈华。 (打电话时用)First let me introduce myself: David Emory, director of the English Department.

我让我自我介绍:大卫·埃默里,英语系主作。

★ 对介绍的应答(responding to an introduction)

Happy to know you.

很高兴认识你。

I have often heard about you.

久仰,久仰。

I’m pleased (glad) to meet you.

见到你我很高兴。

It’s a pleasure to meet you.

很高兴见到您。

I’m glad to have the opportunity to meet you.

我很高兴有机会同您见面。

I know you very well by reputation.

久闻大名。

No, I don’t think I have. Well pleased to meet you.

不,我想我不曾见过。很高兴见到您。

Yes, I think we have. Haven’t we?

是的,我想我们彼此见过,不是吗?

Nice to meet you.

很高兴见到您。Unit 3 Appointment约会、约定

★ 请求约会(requesting an appointment)

Can Mr. Bush see me today?

布什先生今天能见我吗?

Do you mind if I call on you this evening?

我今晚来找你行吗?

I’d like to meet you tomorrow.

我想明天同你见面。

Are you free this morning?

你今天上午有空吗?

I thought I’d drop over for a drink.

我想我要来找你喝一杯。

Let’s make a date to see the movie.

我们约个时间去看电影吧。

Meet me at the school gate tomorrow evening.

明晚在学校门口见。

I wonder whether we could make an arrangement to meet sometime next week.

不知我们能否安排在下周某个时间见面。

Would you make an appointment for me?

您可以给我定一个约会吗?

★ 询问何时何地见面(asking about when and where to meet)

May I expect you at five?

我在五点钟等你好吗?

Would you rather come tomorrow?

你是不是宁愿明天来?

At what time can I see you?

什么时候我能见你?

Does it suit you?

你看合适吗?

Shall I call for you or will you come for me?

我找你,还是你来找我?

Shall we appoint a place to meet this afternoon?

我们今天下午约一个地方见面好吗?

Shall we meet outside the elassroom??

我们在教室外见面好吗?

Shall we fix the date for the meeting?

我们为这次会议约定个日子好吗?

Shall we say 9 O’clock sharp?

我们约定九点正,好吗?

Would you prefer some other time?

别的时间行吗?

Is tomorrow morning any good?

明天上午行吗?

Eight o’clock sharp, all right?

八点正,行吗?

Usual place?

老地方?

Where will you be?

你将在哪儿?

★ 表示何时何地见面(stating when and where to meet)

He’ll be there around 6:30. All being well that is.

他六点半左右到那里,假如一切顺利的话。

I’ll be waiting for you after class in my office.

课后我在办公室等你。

I can spare you half an hour this afternoon.

下午我可以为你抽出半小时。

Let’s make it seven o’clock sharp.

我们约定七点正吧。

Any time except Sunday would be all right.

除星期天外任何时间都可以。

I’ll pick you up about 5:30.

我大约5点半来接你。

OK, I’ll see you then.

行,我到时见你。

See you at the airport.

机场见。

That’s settled then.

就这样定了。

Yes, that’s lovely.

好的,这样好极了。

Yes, usnal place.

是的,老地方。

★ 表示何时何地见面不方便(stating when and where is not convenient to meet)

I couldn’t make it this week.

这星期我抽不出时间。

I won’t be free until next Friday.

下周五以前我都没有空。

I’m sorry. I’m expecting some visitors Sunday evening.

对不起,星期日晚上我有客人来。

No, I’m afraid I can’t manage it.

不行,我恐怕安排不了。

Friday is a bit of a problem, I’m afraid.

星期五恐怕有点问题。

The museum is too far away, I’m afraid.

博物馆恐怕太远了。

Well I’m engaged at that time.

喔,我那时有约。

★ 改变或取消约会(changing or canceling an appointment)

Can we make it a little later?

我们可以晚些时间约会吗?

Could we put it off to the next day?

我们可以把它推迟到第二天吗?

If by chanee I don't make it, I'll see you sometime next week.

万一我不能赴约,我将在下个星期见你。

I wonder whether you could change the time.

不知您能否改变一下时间。

I'll have to give a ram cheek on that.

这事我只好推迟了。

Sorry, but I can't join you for the evening party.

对不起,我不能来参加晚会了。Unit 4 Farewells分手道别

Good bye!再见!

Bye!再见!

Bye for now!现在再见了!

Bye now!再见了!

Good bye and see you again next time you're here.

再见了,下次你来这里时再见。

Good bye then and all the very best.

那么再见了,祝你万事如意。

See you. 再见!

See your later.回头见!

See you soon.回头见!

Take care. Bye!

多保重。再见!

Good night then.

那么晚安。

I think it's time for us to leave now.

我想我们现在该走了。

I hope everything goes well.

希望诸事顺利。

I'll look forward to seeing you next time.

盼望下次再见你。

All the best.

祝你一切都好。

Be in touch.

经常联系。

Give my love to your family.

向你全家问好。

Please give my best regands to your family.

请向你们全家致意

Look after yourself. Bye!

自己当心点。再见!

Mind how you go.Bye!

走好,再见!Unit 5 Thanks and Responses感谢与应答

★ 表示感谢(expressing thanks)

Thank you very much (indeed).

非常感谢你。

Many thanks.

多谢。

Thank you for coming.

谢谢你的光临。

Thank you very much indeed for your help.

谢谢你的帮助。

Thanks a lot for what you've told me.

多谢你告诉我。

I can never thank you enough.

我对您永远感谢不尽。

I do appreciate your timely help.

我的确很感谢您的及时帮助。

I should like to express my gratitude for your kindness.

对您的好意我谨表示我的感谢。

It's very kind of you.

您太好了。

It's most thoughtful of you.

你想得真周到。

You are most understanding.

您真能体谅人。

★ 回答对方的感谢(responding to thanks)

Not at all.

别客气。

It's nothing.

No trouble al all.

没什么

That's all right.

That's OK.

这没什么。

You are welcome.

不用谢。

Any time.(非常随便的表示法)

随时为你效劳。

It's a pleasure.

Pleasure.

My pleasure.

我很乐意。

Don't mention it.

Please don't mention it.

请不用客气。

Delighted I was able to help.

很高兴能帮助您。

I'm glad to have been of some service.

我很高兴能为您效劳。

Thank you.(you重读)

该谢谢你才是。Unit 6 Good Wishes, Congratutations and responses祝愿、祝贺与应答

★ 表示祝愿(giving good wishes)

All the best.

祝你万事如意

I hope everything goes well.

希望你诸事顺利。

I hope you have a good time.

希望你过得愉快

I hope you'll have a nice trip.

希望你旅途快乐。

May you succeed!

祝你成功!

The very best of luck in your business.

祝你事业顺利。

Enjoy yourself!

祝你过得愉快!

Good luck in the interview.

祝你面试顺利

I wish you success with your work.

祝您工作取得成就。

A merry Christmas and a happy New Year!

祝圣诞愉快,新年快乐!

Have a happy birthday!

生日快乐!

★ 对祝愿的回答(responding to good wishes)

Many thanks.

Very many thanks.

Thank you.

谢谢你。

Thank you. And a happy New Year to you too!

谢谢你。也祝你新年快乐!

Thank you. And the some to you!

Thank you. You too!

谢谢你,你也一样。

★ 祝贺(congratulation)

Congratulations.

祝贺你。

I must congratulate you.

我一定得祝贺您。

Allow me to offer my warmest congratulations on the sucess of your research.

请允许我对你们研究的成功表示最热烈的祝贺。

Let me congratulate you on your achievement.

请允许我为您的成就向您表示祝贺。

Please accept my heartiest congratulations.

请接受我最衷心的祝贺。Unit 7 Apology and Responses道歉与应答

★ 道歉(apologizing)

I'm very sorry.

很对不起。很抱歉。

I'm really awfully sorry. I didn't realize.

我真的非常抱歉。我没注意。

I'm so sorry, it was all my fault.对不起,都是我的过错。

It was most careless of me.

我真是非常粗心。

Excuse me for my coming late.

请原谅,我来迟了。

Please excuse me for taking up so much of your time.

请愿谅,占了你这么多时间。

How chumsy of me to step on your foot.

我真笨,踩了你的脚。

Oh, my fault for breaking the cup.

哦,是我不好,打碎了杯子。

Sorry about that.

这事就对不起了。

Sorry for not phoning you.

对不起,没给你打电话。

I do beg for your pardon.

一定请您愿谅。

I do apologize about that.

我确实要为此向您道歉。

I hope you will excuse me.

我希望您原谅我。

May I offer you my profoundest apologies?

谨向您表示最深切的歉意。

Please forgive me for having lost your book.

请原谅,我把您的书弄丢了。

Please forgive my forgetfulness.

请原谅我这么健忘。

★ 回答别人的道歉(responding to apologies)

Never mind. It doesn't really matter.

没关系。实在没有什么要紧的。

Please don't worry.

请别担心。

Please think nothing of it.

请别想它了。

That's quite all right.

没有关系。

Please don't take if too hard.

请别为此过于不快。

Let's forget it.

我们忘掉它吧。

No harm done.

没什么。

No problem.

没问题。

Not a bit of it.

一点儿没什么。

That's all right.

没有关系。

It's really of no importance.

这实在是微不足道的事。

There's no need for you to worry in the least.

您完全不必担心。

★ 暂时造退(leaving for a short time)

Excuse me a moment.

对不起,我离开一会儿。

Excuse me. I'll be back in a minute.

对不起,我一会儿就回来。

Excuse me. You have to give me a minute.

对不起,暂时告退一下。

I'm afraid I have to leave you for a short while.

恐怕我得暂时告退了。

Would you excuse me for a moment, please?

请原谅我暂时告退。Unit 8 Offering and Requesting Help提供或请求帮助

★ 提供帮助(offering help)

May I help you?

我能帮你忙吗?

Can I help you with that?

我可以帮你做这事吗?

Can I give you a hand with the clothes?

我帮你洗衣服好吗?

If you want, I could heat it up for you.

如果你要的话,我可以为你把它热一热。

Is there anything I can do for you?

有没有我可以帮你做的事?

Let me get it for you.

我去帮你把它拿来。

Shall I give you a lift?

要搭车吗?

What can I do to help prepare the party?

我能为准备晚会干点什么呢?

Let me give you a hand?

我帮你一把吧?

Would you like to use my dictionary?

你想用我的字典吗?

Would you like any help?

你要帮忙吗?

Anything I can do to help?

我能帮忙干点什么?

Can I help you out?

我能帮你忙吗?

Wnat a hand?

要帮忙吗?

Why don't you let me help?

你干吗不让我帮忙呢?

How about me getting it for you?

我帮你去把它弄来怎么样?

Just let me know if you need any help.

如果你需要帮忙就告诉我。

Might I help at all?

我可以帮忙吗?

Perhaps I could assist in some way.

也许我能有所帮助。

★ 接受或谢绝帮助(acceptiong or declining)

All right. Thank you.

好吧。谢谢你。

It's very kind of you.

你太好了。

That's nice of you, thank you.

你真好,谢谢你。

If you're sure it's no trouble for you to do it.

如果你肯定这么做不费事的话。

Just what I needed to have your help!

我正要你帮忙呢!

Lovely! Thanks.

太好了。谢谢。

Thank you, I'd appreciate it.

谢谢你,我很感激。

I’d be delighted if you could help me.

如果您能帮助我,我很高兴。

I don't think so, thank you.

我想不必了,谢谢你。

Please don't bother, I can do it myself.

请不用费心,我自己能行。

No, it's all right, I can manage.

不,没有关系,我能行。

No, but thank you just the same.

不必了,谢谢你。

Thanks a lot, but I'm OK.

多谢,不过我能行。

Please don't trouble about it.

请不要为此费心了。

★ 请求帮助(requesting help)

Can I ask you a question?

可以提个问题吗?

Could I borrow your bike?

可以借用一下你的自行车吗?

Do you mind if she gets a lift in your car, please?

如果她搭你的车你不反对吧?

Get me something to eat, will you please?

请你给我弄点吃的好吗?

Is there any chance of attending your leeture?

有可能听您的讲座吗?

May I ask a favor of you?

请你帮个忙行吗?

Would you do me a favor?

请帮个忙行吗?

Would you do me a good turn?

能为我做一件好事吗?

Would you mmd posting this letter for me?

请你帮我寄这封信好吗?

Could you possibly put me up for the night?

你可以让我过夜吗?

Any chance of using your telephone?

可以用一下您的电话吗?

Do me a favor and close the door.

帮忙把门关上。

Do me the favor to type the letter.

帮帮忙把这封信打一下。

I should be pleased if you would help me with my work.

如果你能帮我工作我将非常高兴。

★ 肯定与否定回答(positive and negative responses)

Certainly.

当然。

I would if I could.

我要是能办,我会办的。

I'd love to.

好的。

No, I don't mind in the least.

不,我一点儿不介意。

That's no trouble at all.

没什么。

Well, OK, I suppose so.

好吧,我想是可以的。

By all means.

当然可以。

Yes, of course.

当然可以。

With great pleasure.

非常乐意。

Yes, I think that would be all right.

好的,我想那没问题。

I'd like to,but I am busy now.

我很愿意,但我现在很忙。

I'm sorry, but I'm using it right now.

对不起,不过我现在正好在用。

No, I'm afraid I can't.

不,恐怕我不能。

Certainly not.

当然不行。

I regret (that) I can't help you.

很遗憾,我不能帮助你。

I'd rather not if you don't mind.

如果你不介意,我倒希望不这样。Unit 9 Asking for Permission and Responses请求许可与应答

★ 请求许可(asking for permission)

May I borrow your dictionary?

我可以借用一下你的字典吗?

Can I have a look at it, please?

我可以看看吗?

Do you mind if I turn off the radio?

我把收音机关掉你不对吗?

Can I take this one?

我能拿这个吗?

I wonder whether I could possibly take it away.

不知我是否可以把它拿走。

Will you allow me to sit here?

你允许我坐在这儿吗?

Would it be possible to let me in?

我可以进来吗?

Would you mind my smoking here?

你不反对我在这儿抽烟吧?

All right to speak to Mr. White?

同怀特先生说句话行吗?

Any chance of meeting the headmaster?

有可能见见校长吗?

Can I have the OK?

行吗?

Have I got the go-ahead to turn down the radio?

我把收音机关小行吗?

OK if I call you tomorrow?

我明天给你打电话行吗?

Let me have the photo, would you?

这张照片给我了,好吗?

Am I allowed to make a suggestion?

准许我提一个建议行吗?

Do I have your permission to leave now?

您允许我现在离开吗?

Do you have any objection if I ask a day off?

我请一天假,你反对吗?

I should like to make a phone call here, if I may.

如果允许的话,我想在这儿打个电话。

★ 给某人许可(giving somebody permission)

As you wish.

随你的便。

Go ahead.

干吧(说吧)!

Yes, do please.

行,干吧!

I don’t mind, just as you like.

我不在乎,随你便吧。

Not at all, please do.

一点儿也不,请吧。

Please don’t hesitale to do that.

这事请放心去做。

Yes, certainly you can.

是的,你当然可以。

No reason why you shouldn’t.

你没有什么不应该的。

Yes, of course you can.

是的,你当然可以。

That’s quite in order.

这很妥当。

I can’t see any objection to your attending the lecture.

我看不出您来听课有什么不可以的。

★ 拒绝给某人许可(refusing to give somebody permission)

I’m sorry, I can’t.

对不起,我不能。

No way, I’m afraid.

恐怕不行。

You’d better not.

你最好别这样做。

I’d rather you didn’t.

我倒希望你别这样。

I’m afraid I ean’t let you do.

恐怕我不能答应你。

I’m sorry, but that’s not possible.

对不起,但这是不可能的。

I’m sorry, that’s not allowed.

对不起,这是不允许的。

Out of the question, I’m afraid.

恐怕不可能。

Sorry, that’s not on.

对不起,那不行。

I’m afraid we can’t permit that.

恐怕我们不能允许此事。Unit 10 Agreement and Disagreement表示赞同与不同意

★ 询问某人是否同意(asking if somebody agrees)

Don’t you agree?

你不同意吗?

Don’t you think he is a bright student?

你不认为他是个聪明的学生吗?

Don’t you think so?

你难道不这样认为吗?

Do you go along with that?

你赞同吗?

Wouldn’t you think so?

你不这样认为吗?

Right? Yeah?

对吗?是吗?

What do you think of the proposal?

你对这个提议的看法如何?

What’s your opinion of Mr. White’s analysis?

你对怀特先生的分析看法如何?

Money is losing its value, wouldn’t you say?

金钱正在贬值,你说不是吗?

Can I ask if you agree with his argument?

请问你是否同意他的论点?

Is the plan agreed?

计划获得同意了吗?

Would you agree with what I said just now?

你同意我刚才说的话吗?

★ 表示同意(agreeing)

Yes, I agree.

是的,我同意。

I think so too.

我也这样想。

That’t quite right.

很对。

That’s just what I was thinking.

这正是我所想的。

I suppose so.

我看是这样。

So do I.

我也一样。

You’re right.

你是对的。

Yes. Yeah. Right.

对的。

That’s it. You got it.

对的。你是对的。

True enough. Dead right.

确实。绝对正确。

That’s a good idea.

真是个好主意。

That’s great!

太好了!

I quite agree with you.

我完全同意。

I’m of exactly the same idea.

我的想法完全相同。

That’s just my own opinion.

这正是我自己的意见。

★ 不同意(disagreeing)

No, I don’t think so.

不,我不这样认为。

I can’t accept that.

那个我不能同意。

I really can’t agree with you.

我实在不能同意你的看法。

I’m afraid not.

I’m afraid I don’t agree.

恐怕不行吧。

I’m afraid I entirely disagree.

恐怕我完全不能同意。

I don’t know whether it’ll work or not.

我怀疑这是否起作用。

I think that’s nonsense.

我认为这是瞎说。

I think you’re absolutely wrong.

我认为你绝对错了。

I ‘m not at all sure, actually.

实际上我根本不能肯定。

Come off it!

不要胡说!

Never! No way!

决不!不可能!

On the contrary.

正相反。

Can’t go along with your view.

我不能赞同你的观点。

★ 达成一致意见(coming to an agreement)

Right, we all agree.

对,我们都同意。

Good, that’s agreed, then.

好,那么就这样同意了。

So we’re agreed, aren’t we?

Well, that’s settled then.

好吧,那就这样定了吧。

Everyone’s happy about the decision, then.

那么,大家对这个决定都很满意吧。

Looks like we’ve agreed.

看来我们已取得一致意见。

That seems to be OK, then.

那么,这似乎不错了。

Can I take it (that) the problem is settled?

可以认为问题已经解决了吗?

That seems to be agreed, then.

那么,这看来已获得一致同意了。Unit 11 Advice and Suggestions劝告与建议

★ 请求指点(asking for advice)

could I ask for your advice on my term paper?

能否请您对我的学年论文作些指导?

Could you give me some advice on how to make it up with her?

您给我说说怎样才能与她讲和好吗?

What do you think I should do?

你看我该怎么办?

What ought I to do to cheer our class up?

我该做些什么来使我们班高兴呢?

Do you think I should change the plan?

你看我应该改变计划吗?

I’d like your advice about my work.

我想请你对我的工作提些意见。

Ought I to brush up my English before I go abroad?

出国以前我应该复习复习英语吗?

When do you think I should go?

你看我该什么时候走?

Can you sort me out on this matter?

你能为我想办法解决这件事吗?

How do you see our way of living?

我们的生活方式你是怎么看的?

What would you do if you were me?

你要是我,你会怎么办。

I would appreciate some advice about TOEFL test.

如果您能在托福考试方面给我一些指点,我会很感激您的。

★ 劝某人做某事(advising somebody to do something)

I advise you to see a doctor.

我劝你去看看医生。

I think you might enjoy a holiday in the country.

我看你可以在乡村度假。

I think you should be on a diet.

我看你应该节食。

I should say a little exercise would do you no harm.

我说,稍微活动一点对你没有害处。

It’ll do you good to have a rest.

休息一下对你会有好处的。

It’s no good complaining.

抱怨是无益的。

It might be a good idea if you got a part-time job.

你可以找个零工做一做。

If I were you, I’d try it in another way.

如果我是你,我就换个方法试一试。

Just try again.

你就再试试看。

Take my advice and leave it as it is.

听我的话,随它去吧。

You’d better go through your test paper again before you hand it in.

交卷以前,你最好把考卷再看一遍。

Why don’t you talk to her about that?

你为什么不同她谈谈那件事呢?

Break off with Mike.

同迈克断绝关系。

The way I see it. you should keep up your piano practice.

依我看,你应该坚持练习钢琴。

If I were in your position, I would change my plan.

如果我处在你的地位,我就改变计划。

You might just as well buy a new typewriter.

你还不如买一台新的打字机。

★ 劝某人不要做某事(advising somebody not to do something)

I don’t think you should keep silent.

我认为你不应该保持沉默。

I advise you not to look down on him.

我劝你不要轻视他。

Don’t break your word if you want help.

如果你要人帮助,就不可言而无信。

I wouldn’t stay up late at night, if I were in your shoes.

如果我处在你的地位,我就不会熬夜。

It’s up to you but I wouldn’t do that.

这该由你决定,不过我是不会那样做的。

If I were you, I’d think twice before I take the next step.

如果我是你,我就会再三考虑后再决定下一步措施。

Why don’t you give up smoking to keep health?

你为什么不戒烟以保持身体健康呢?

I would advise against having a party this weekend. The midterm exams are coming.

期中考试快到了,我劝你们周末不要举行晚会。

I wouldn’t accept the invitation if I were in your position.

如果我处在你的地位,我就不接受邀请。

If you follow my advice, you won’t keep in touch with her.

如果你听从我的劝告,就不要同她保持联系。

You mustn’t drink too much before driving.

开车前不要暴饮。

★ 提建议(making suggestions)

Shall we go for a walk?

我们去散散步好吗?

We’d better go now.

我们最好现在就去。

You could do it tomorrow.

你可以明天做这事。

You might as well ask him to help you now he is here.

你不妨趁他现在在这儿请他帮忙。

Maybe you ought to quit the job.

也许你应该辞掉这个工作。

We might stay where we are.

我们完全可以站在原地不动。

What would you say to a game of chess?

下盘横怎么样?

I think it’d be a great idea to have a round of tennis.

我想,打一局网球倒是个极好的主意。

Let’s listen to this tape, shall we?

我们来听听这盘磁带,好吗?

What about having our classroom painted?

把我们的教室粉刷一下怎么样?

Why don’t we freshen up with a cold bath?

我们干吗不洗个冷水澡清醒清醒呢?

Why not put off your visit till Friday, then?

那么,你为什么不把访问推迟到星期五呢?

How about giving her a free hand and see how it will turn out?

这样好不好:放手让她去干,然后看看结果如何?

Have you considered leaving a message to your father, then?

那么,你是否考虑过给你的父亲留个口信?

I’d like to suggest (that) you join our group.

我想建议你参加我们小组。

Would you like to have lunch with us at the school canteen?

你愿意和我们在学校食堂共进午餐吗?

You might like to duplicate this paper?

您也许想复印这个文件吧?

★ 肯定与否定回答(making positive and negative responses)

I’d love to.

好的。

I’d like that very much.

我很想这样。

OK, that’s fine.

行,这好极了。

That sounds like a good idea.

这听起来像是个好主意。

That would be nice.

那太好了。

Yes, that’s fine.

对,好极了。

You do just that.

你就这么办吧。

Yes, I think your suggestion is acceptable.

对,我认为你的建议是可取的。

No, I don’t think so.

不,我不这样认为。

No,don’t bother.

不,别费心了。

Well, I’d rather not, if you don’t mind.

这个,如果你不介意的话,我还是不这样吧。

I’d rather you wouldn’t.

我倒希望你不要这样。

I don’t think I will, but thank you all the same.

我想我不了,不过还是谢谢你。

I regret to say I can’t accept your suggestion.

我遗憾我不能接受您的建议。Unit 12 Compliment and Reproach称赞与责备

★ 称赞(complimenting)

Oh, how nice!

哦,真好!

It’s lovely!

真可爱!

I do think that’s charming.

我的确认为这很迷人。

I think that’s quite pretty, don’t you?

我看这很美,你说呢?

I’ve alawys admired your work very much.

我一向很钦佩你的工作。

I must say your composition is really very good.

我得说你的文章确实很好。

I admire the way you speak to your students.

我很佩服你与学生谈话的方式。

What a nice girl!

真是个好姑娘!

You look very smart.

你看上去很帅。

You were wonderful.

你真是妙极了。

You have a good taste.

你有很好的鉴赏力。

You really look pretty today.

你今天真漂亮啊。

I’ve got to hand it to you; you really did a good job.

我不得不称赞你;你的确干得很好。

I must take my hat off to you for your good show.

我得为你的出色表演向你致敬。

Your composition has improved tremendously.

你的作文大有进步。

★ 责备某人(reproaching somebody)

How can you do that to them?

你怎么能那样对待他们呢?

How could you be so rude?

你怎么可以这么粗鲁呢?

That’s the wrong way to treat a friend.

那样对待朋友的方式是错的。

What a shame of you to cheat your parents!

你欺骗你的父母真可耻!

What do you mean by not telling me the truth?

你不跟我说实话,这算什么意思?

You can’t just do whatever you like.

你不能想怎么样就怎么样。

You needn’t have told them that.

你本来用不着告诉他们那个的。

You shouldn’t have been late.

你不应该迟到。

It’s not nice of you to do such things.

你干这种事可不好。

Can’t you be serious for once?

你就不能认真点吗?

It’s none of your business.

不关你的事。

Now look what you have done!

瞧你到底干了些什么呀!

Who asked you?谁问你了?

Shame on you!真丢脸!

There now! Didn’t I tell you?

你看看!我没告诉你吗?

I wonder why you couldn’t have returned the car earlier.

我真不知道你为什么不能早点归还这车呢?

I don’t think you should forget your responsibility.

我认为你不该忘了你的责任。

场影Ⅱ

Girl: Hello!

您好!

Peter: Hello! May I have a word with Tom?

你好,我可以和汤姆讲几句话吗?

Girl: Hold on a moment, please.

请等一下。

(To Tom:You’re wanted on the phone, Tom.)

(对汤姆:汤姆,你的电话。)

Tom: Yes, thanks. Heool, this is Tom speaking. Who’s that?

来了,谢谢。喂,我是汤,您是哪一位?

Peter: Hello, Tom, Peter speaking. My Birthday is coming. I want to hold a party at home tomorrow evening. Would you like to come?

喂,汤姆,我是彼得。我的生日就要到了,明晚我想请你参加我的生日晚会。你能来吗?

购物

场景Ⅰ

Shop Assistant: What can I do for you, sir?

售货员:先生,您要什么?

Customer: Can you show me some wool gloves?

顾客:可以看看羊毛手套吗?

SA: What colour do you want?

您要什么颜色的?

C: The black ones over there, please.

请拿那边黑色的。

SA: Are these all right?

它们行吗?

C: Let me see. Can I try them on?

让我看一下。可以试一试吗?

SA: Certainly.

当然可以。

C: They’re a bit large. Have you any smaller ones?

大了一点,有稍小一点的吗?

SA: Yes, How about this pair?

好的,这一副可以吗?

问路

场景Ⅰ

Foreigner:Excuse me. Would you tell me how to get to the Friendship Store?

外宾:劳驾,请问到“友谊商店”怎么走?

Waiter: Yes, you can take a Number 1 bus.

服务员:你可以乘1路汽车。

F:But where is the Number 1 bus?

那么,1路汽车在哪儿呢?

W: Here is Beijing Hotel. Go eastwards from the hotel gate, then cross the street and you’ll find the bus stop.

这是北京饭店,从饭店门口往东走,再穿过马路,你就会找到汽车站。

F: Can I go there on foot?

我可以步行去吗?

W: Yes, you can. Turn to the left at the hotel gate. It’s only twenty minutes’ walk.

是的,可以。在饭店门口往左面走,二十分钟就可以走到了。

场景Ⅱ

A: I don’t feel well, doctor.

医生,我感觉不舒服。

B: What’s the trouble?

你怎么不好了?

A: I’ve had a bad cough and a terrible headache.

我咳嗽得厉害,头也很疼。

B: Have you got a fever?

你发烧了吗?

A: I don’t know. Perhaps.

我不知道,也可能。

B: Let the nurse take your temperature.

让护士给你理体温。

(some time later.)

(过了一会儿。)

Thirty-eight point five. You’ve caught a bad cold.

38.5°,你得了重感冒。

A: I hope it won’t last long. The final exam is coming.

希望它不会持续太久,期末考试快到了。

通告

场景Ⅰ

A: Everyone, attention please. I have something to say. There is an English film at 3:00 this afternoon in the big hall.

大家请注意,我有话要说。下午3点在大厅演一场英文电影。

B: Can you tell us the name of the film?

你能告诉我们影片名吗?

A: It’s The Song of Music, an A merican film.《音乐之声》,一部美国影片。

B: That’s great.

太好了。

开会

场景Ⅰ

A: Is every one here?

人到齐了吗?

B: Order! order!

安静了,安静了。

A: Now, let’s begin. Today we’re going to have a discussion about our English study. Who’d like to speak first?

现在我们开始吧。今天我们准备讨论英语学习情况。谁愿意先发言。

B: I’d like to say a few words first.

我想先说几句。

A: Go ahead, please.

请吧。

在图书馆

场景Ⅰ

A: What do you want this time?

这次你想借什么书啊?

B: I want to borrow the latest issue of Electronics Practice. I hear there’s a new invention in it.

我想借最后一期的《电子制作》,我听说里面介绍了一个新的发明制作。

A: What’s the invention about?

是关于哪方面的制作?

B: It’s an invention about how to make money detector.

是关于怎样制造验钞器的。

A: OK. Just a minute, please.

好,请稍等。

B: I’m sorry to trouble you.

麻烦你了。

A: Here’s the magazine you want.

这是你要的杂志。

B: How long can I keep it?

可以借多长时间?

A: One week.

一周。

B: But if I can’t finish it in time, I want to make a machine myself.

可是如果我不能如期归还呢,我想要自己制作一个仪器。

A: Then you have to renew it.

那你必须续借。

B: I see. Thank you for your help.

明白了,谢谢您的帮忙。

A: It’s a pleasure.

不用客气。

用午餐

Waiter: What would you like to have, Miss?

小姐,用点什么?

Jane: I think I’ll just have some soup and biscuit.

我想就要点汤和饼干。

W: And you, sir?

您呢,先生?

Tom: That’s not enough for me. I’ve been working hard this morning and I’m really hungry. I’m really hungry. I’ll have the complete dinner—fried chicken with green beans and mashed potatoes, and apple pie with ice-cream for dessert.

我可不够。整个上午我一直在卖力干活,我真饿了。我要全套午餐—炸鸡、青豆、土豆泥、苹果馅和一份冰淇淋。

文体活动

★ 音乐会(at a concert)

A: What do you usually do for recreation?

你通常如何消遣?

B: I often spend an enjoyable evening at a concert.

我常常去听音乐会来度过一个愉快的夜晚。

A: We went to hear the symphony.

我们听了交响音乐会。

B: How do you like the concert as a whole?

总的来说你认为这个音乐会怎么样?

A: Not so bad.

不错。

★ 舞会(at a ball)

A: The music has started. It’s a waltz. It’s a quick waltz.

音乐开始了,是华尔兹。是快华尔兹。

B: How do you like this waltz?

你喜欢这支华尔兹舞曲吗?

A: It’s very nice.

挺好。

B: Shall we dance?

我们跳舞好吗?

A: I’d love to. I suppose you dance often.

我很愿意,你大概经常跳舞吧。

B: You’re doing the waltz wonderfully well.

你的华尔兹跳得真好。

A: Many thanks. I’m glad you say so.

多谢,你这样说我很高兴。

B: I’m so lucky that I’ve got a good partner.

真高兴我找到了个好舞伴。

★ 一场篮球比赛(a basketball match)

A: Which teams are playing?

哪个队在比赛呢?

B: Our team is against Class Two.

我们队和2班。

A: Who’s winning?

谁领先?

B: They are, 32 to 28.

他们,32比28。

A: It’s a very close game, isn’t it?

比分真接近,是吧?

B: Yes, It’s hard to say which team can win at this moment.

是啊,这会儿很难说谁能赢。

A: If we win, we’ll be the first, won’t we?

如果我们赢了,就是第一名,对吗?

B: Yes, but if they beat us, we’ll be the third.

对,但他们要赢了我们,我们就第三名了。

A: Good news! Good news! We won the basketball match.

好消息!好消息!我们篮球赢了。

B: Great! What was the score?

好极了!比分是多少?

A: Sixty-five to sixty.

65比60。

★ 在学校的游泳池里(in the school swimming pool)

Peter: Do you come here very often, Mary?

玛丽,你经常到这里来吗?

Mary: Yes, I do. I belong to the swimming club here.

是的,我是这里游泳俱乐部的成员。

P: Ah, I see. I guess swimming is your favorite sport.

哦,我明白了,我猜游泳一定是你最喜欢的运动。

M: Yes, it is. What’s your favorite?

唔,不错,你最喜欢的运动是什么?

P: Football. I am on the school team.

足球,我是校队队员。

M: I like watching football matches very much.

我很喜欢看足球赛。

P: So you’re a football fan?

这么说你是足球迷了?

M: Yes, I am.

是的,我是。

P: How about a race now?

现在咱们比一比怎么样?

M: That would be nice.

好极了。

(after the race.)

(比完以后)

P: Congratulations, Mary! You swam very well indeed.

祝贺你,玛丽!你游得确实很好。

M: Thank you! And you did too.

谢谢你! 你也游得不错。

观光旅游

场景Ⅰ

A: We are going to have a sightseeing in the country tomorrow.

Would you like to go for an outing with us?

我们明天到乡村去参观游览。你愿意同我们一起去郊游吗?

B: Good! I want to see the sights of the country.

很好!我想看看农村的风光。

A: We’ll take our lunch boxes with us and have a picnic lunch in the woods.

我们将带午餐盒到树林中去野餐。

B: What about going to the zoo after the picnic then?

那么午餐以后到动物园去看看怎样?

A: That might be a good idea.

那倒是个好主意。

B: We can see those lovable pandas.

我们会看到那些可爱的大熊猫。

A: It’s really a wonderful place.

那真是个有趣的地方。

B: Let’s make a day of it.

我们痛痛快快去玩一天吧。

A: Great! I can see we’re going to have a most enjoyable time tomorrow.

好极了!我想我们明天将度过极有乐趣的一天。

周末与假期

场景Ⅰ

A: Hello, B. I was looking for you, but I couldn’t find you anywhere.

你好,B,我一直在找你,可是哪儿也找不着你。

B: I went away for the weekend.

我度周末去了。

A: Did you have a nice time over the weekend?

周末你过得愉快吗?

B: Yes, I had a lot of fun.

过得愉快,我玩得太好了。

A: Oh, really? Where did you go?

噢,是吗?你到哪去了?

B: I went to the Great Wall with my family. We climbed up to the top. The scenery was excellent.

我跟家里人去长城了。我们爬上了长城的最高处,风景美极了。

A: The Great Wall is well-known to the world. It is indeed a magnificent spectacle. Did you take any picture?

长城举世闻名,十分雄伟壮观。你们照相了吗?

B: Yes, we took many pictures and I’ll show you later.

是的,我们照了很多,以后我会让你看的。

场景Ⅱ

A: Where are you going to spend the summer vacation?

你准备到哪度暑假?

B: I’ll take a trip to the south.

我要去南方旅行。

A: Which city?

哪个城市?

B: Guangzhou. I’ve got friends there.

广州。我那儿有朋友。

A: I heard Guangzhou is very beautiful. How long are you going to stay there?

我听说广州很美丽。你打算在那呆多长时间?

B: Half a month.

半个月。

A: Hope you’ll enjoy your holidays.

祝你假期愉快!

B: The same to you!

也祝你假期愉快!

谈论考试

场景Ⅰ

A: Let’s go to the cinema, shall we?

咱们去看电影好吗?

B: I’m afraid not. I’m busy preparing for the midterm exam.

恐怕去不了。我正忙着准备期中考试呢。

A: When will the exam start?

什么时候开始考?

B: Next week.

下星期

A: Have you reviewed all the lessons?

你的功课都复习了吗?

B: I review one lesson each day. I’ve made a plan for general review.

我每天复习一课,我制定了一个总复习计划。

A: Well, good luck to you.

好,祝你走运。

B: Thank you.

谢谢你

谈论学习

场景Ⅰ

A: What subjects do you study in school?

你们在学校都学习什么课程?

B: We study Chinese, Maths, physics, chemistry, politics, English and physical education and so on.

我们学习语文、数学、物理、化学、政治、英语和体育等门功课。

A: Which subject do you like best?

你最喜欢哪门课?

B: English. As we know, English is one of the widely used languages in the world.

我最喜欢英语。我们知道,英语是世界上最广泛使用的语言之一。

A: You are right. English is taught in our school, too. And we must learn it well.

你说得很对。我们学校也教英语,我们一定要把英语学好。

做值日

场景Ⅰ

A: Who’s on duty today?

今天谁值日?

B: We are, Group 3.

我们,第三组。

A: There was a strong wind last night. Look, there is thick dust on the tables.

昨晚刮大风了,看,桌上有一层厚厚的灰尘。

B: Let’s do our classroom a good cleaning.

我们彻底清扫一下教室吧。

A: Open the windows before sweeping the floor.

扫地前,先把窗子打开。

B: I’ll mop the floor after you sweeep it.

你扫完地后,我擦地板。

A: Then we’ll clean the tables.

然后我们擦桌子

B: All right.

好吧。

课间休息

场景Ⅰ

A: What are you doing? Class is over. It’s time for break.

你干什么呢?下课了,休息时间到了。

B: I’m doing some homework now.

我在做点作业。

A: We’d better take a rest after a long time of study.

学了很长时间了,我们最好休息一会儿。

B: OK, then. Let’s go out for a walk.

那好吧,咱们出去散散步。

A: Do your eyes hurt?

你眼睛疼不疼?

B: A little bit.

有一点。

A: Look at the green leaves on the trees or the blue sky, and you’ll feel better.

看看树上的绿叶或蓝天,你会感到舒服一些。

B: Thanks, I’ll try.

谢谢,我试试。

借东西

场景Ⅰ

A: Would you mind lending me your notebook for a while?

你介意把你的笔记本借我用一会儿吗?

B: Of course not. You can have it at any time. But which notebook do you want?

当然不,你随时都可以用。你要借哪一门功课的笔记呢?

A: Notebook for physics.

物理课的笔记本。

B: Here you are. If you have any question, don’t hesitate to ask.

给你。若有问题,尽管问。

A: Thanks a lot.

非常感谢。

场景Ⅱ

A: Where are you going?

你上哪去?

B: To the bookstore. I’ve heard they got some new books.

去书店,我听说进了一批新书。

A: It’s a long way, How do you go there?

路很远,你怎么去呢?

B: I have to walk there. There is something wrong with my bike.

我只好走着去了,我的自行车坏了。

A: Why not borrow one?

为什么不借一辆车呢?

B: It’s a pity. All my classmates went home for weekend.

很遗憾,我班同学都回家过周末去了。

A: You can use mine. I want to stay at school to do some reading.

你可以用我的,我想留在学校看点书。

B: It’s very kind of you. Thank you very much.

你真好,太感谢了。

A: Here is the key to my bike.

给你车钥匙。

谈论家庭

场景Ⅰ

A: What’s your name, please?

请问你叫什么名字?

B: My name is Li Ping.

我叫李平。

A: Where do you live, Li Ping?

李平,你住哪里?

B: I live at 18, Xin Jie Kou Street, West District.

我住在西城区新街口大街18号。

A: Do you live with your family?

你和家里人住在一块儿吗?

B: Yes, with my grandfather and my parents.

是的,与我的祖父和父母同住。

A: What is your father?

你的父亲是干什么的?

B: He is a middle school teacher.

他是一个中学老师。

A: And what does your mother do?

你母亲做什么?

B: She works in a company.

她在一家公司工作。

A: Have you got any brothers or sisters?

你有兄弟姐妹吗?

B: No. I am the only child in my family.

没有。家里只有我一个孩子。

A: Let’s make friends.

我们交个朋友吧。

B: I’m glad to hear that.

很高兴。

谈论生日、节日

场景Ⅰ

A: Tomorrow is my birthday and I’m having a birthday party at home. Could you come?

明天是我的生日,我要在家举行一个生日晚会,你能来吗?

B: All right. How are you going to arrange it?

行啊,你打算怎样安排呢?

A: I want to order a large birthday cake.

我想订一个大的生日蛋糕。

B: Don’t you have drinks?

你没有饮料吗?

A: I’ve already got some beer.

我已准备了一些啤酒。

B: Do you get some flowers?

你有鲜花了吗?

A: That’s a good idea. I’ll get some.

好主意,我要买一些。

B: How many people will come to your party tomorrow?

明天有多少人参加你的生日晚会?

A: I’m not sure. Maybe about ten or so.

我说不太准,也许十个左右。

B: What time will the party begin?

聚会什么时候开始?

A: Half past six in the evening. Do come, please!

晚上六点半。请一定来。

B: I’d love to. See you!

我很愿意,再见。

A: See you tomorrow evening.

明天晚上见。

谈天气

场景Ⅰ

A: What’s the weather like today?

今天天气怎么样?

B: It’s a beautiful spring day. It would be good for you to spend a day in the sun.

是美好的春天天气。晒一天太阳对你是有好处的。

A: Can I get to the zoo by bus?

我到动物园坐公共汽车去行吗?

B: Yes, you can take the Number 27. It goes right to the zoo.

行,你可以乘27路车,一直坐到动物园。

A: Where is my coat?

我的大衣在哪里?

B: In the closet. But you won’t need a coat today. The sun is shining, and it is going to get warm.

在壁橱里。但你今天不需要穿大衣。阳光灿烂,天气会转暖的。

A: Are you sure it is not going to rain?

你能肯定不会下雨吗?

B: I don’t think so.

我想不会。

A: Help me with my coat, will you?

帮我穿上大衣好吗?

B: OK. Enjoy yourself.

行。好好玩一玩。

A: Thank you.

谢谢。Part 2.Learn English With Joy (开心英语)

第二部分 开心英语Who Is The Laziest?

Father: Well, Ben, I talked to your teacher today, and now I want to ask you a question. Who is the laziest person in your class?

Ben: I don’t know, father.

Father: Oh, yes, you do! Think! When other boys and girls are doing and writing, Who sits in the class and only watches how other people work?

Ben: Our teacher, father.

teacher[tit]n.老师

laziest[leizist]adj. lazy的最高级,最懒

person[psn]n.人

think[ink]vi.思考

write[rait]vt.写

谁最懒?

父亲:哎,本,今天我跟你们老师谈过。现在我想问你一个问题:你们班上谁最懒?

本:我不知道,爸爸。

父亲:哦,不对,你一定知道!想想看,当别的孩子都在做作业、写字时,谁在课堂上坐着,光看人家做功课?

本:我们老师,爸爸。Regret

Littie George was crying one day, and his dad asked him why.

“I’ve lost 5p”, sobbed George.

“Never mind,” said his dad kindly. “Here’s another 5p for you.” At which George howled louder than ever.

“Now what is it?” asked his dad.

“I wish I’d said I’d lost 10p!”

cry[krai]vi.哭

ask[ask]vt.问

sob[sb]vi.抽泣

how[hau]vi.嚎哭

wish[wi]vt.希望

后悔

一天乔治哭了,他爸爸问他怎么了。“我丢了五便士。”乔治哭着说。“没关系,”爸爸和蔼地说,“我再给你五便士。”但乔治却哭得更厉害了。“这又怎么了?”爸爸问。“我刚才要是说丢了十便士就好了。”A Birthday Present

Helen: Mun, do you know what I’m going to give you for your birthday?

Mum: No, dear, what is it?

Helen: A nice teapot.

Mum: But I’ve got a nice teapot.

Helen: No, you haven’t. I’ve just dropped it!

birthday[bdei]n.生日

dear[di]n.亲爱的人

nice[nais]adj.好看的

just[dst]adj.刚才

drop[drp]vt.掉落

生日礼物

海伦:妈,你知道我要送你什么生日礼物吗?

妈妈:亲爱的,是什么东西?

海伦:一个很漂亮的茶壳。

妈妈:可是我已经有一个很好的茶壶了呀。

海伦:你没有了,我刚把它掉到地上了。Sticking The Stamp

Once a Frenchman travelled in England. He didn’t know English very well. One day he went to the post office to send a letter. He bought a stamp and gave it with his letter to the girl at the desk. “Oh,no,”the girl said. “You must stick the stamp on yourself.” He was very surprised. He didn’t believe his ears. “Why must I stick the stamp on myself?”he asked. “Oh,”said the girl. “I mean that you must stick the stamp on the letter. You must do it yourself.”

travel[trvl]vi.旅行

know[nu]vt.知道

stick[stik]vt.贴

believe[biliv]vt.相信

stamp[stmp]n.邮票

贴邮票

从前,一个法国人去英国旅行,他的英语不太好。有一天,他到邮局去寄信。他买了一张邮票,并把它和信一起交给柜台前的那位姑娘。“噢,不,”姑娘说,“You must stick the stamp on yourself.(你要自己贴邮票。)”他感到十分惊奇,不相信自己的耳朵,问道:“Why must I stick the stamp on myself?(为什么我要把邮票贴在我身上?)”“噢,”姑娘说,“我的意思是你要把邮票贴在信封上,你要自己贴。”The Longest Word

It is the last lesson before the holidays. The students are very happy. Their English teacher is very happy too. Their teacher plays some nice games with them. He sings some nice songs with them, and then he goes to the blackboard and writes `SMILES' on it.

“This is one of the longest words in English,” he says to the class.

All the students laugh, and then one girl stands up and says, “Why is it one of the longest words in English?”

The teacher says nothing for a few seconds. Then he smiles and says,“Because there is a mile between the first letter and the last.”

nice[nais]adj.好的

laugh[laf]vi.笑

happy[hpi]adj.快乐的,高兴的

few[fju]adj.很少的,不多的

mile[mail]n.英里

最长的单词

这是假期前的最后一堂课,学生们非常高兴。他们的英语老师也非常高兴,就和他们玩起了一些令人愉快的游戏,还一起唱了些好听的歌曲。然后他走到黑板前,在上面写了个“SMILES”。“这是英语中最长的单词之一。”他对全班同学说。

所有的学生都笑了,然后一个女孩站起来问:“为什么它是英语中最长的单词之一呢?”

停了几秒钟,老师笑着说:“因为第一个字母到最后一个字母之间有一英里的距离呀。”Better Mailman

I worked as a mailman for a short time. However, I’m afraid of dogs and I had a lot of trouble.

One day I tried to deliver some letters to a big house. I started to open the gate and all of a sudden a huge dog ran toward me. It growled and barked at me, so I threw the letters over the fence. The dog picked them up and carried them into the house.

The dog was a better mailman than I was!

mailman[meilmn]n.邮差

short[t]adj.短

gate[geit]n.门

growl[graul]vi.嗥叫

bark[bak]vi.叫

好邮差

我干邮差工作不长。我害怕狗,遇到过很多麻烦。

一天,我试着去一所大房子送信。我刚推开大门,突然,一只大狗朝我跑来。它朝我嗥叫着、吠着,所以我只能把信都从栅栏处扔了进去。狗拾起了信,叼着它们进了屋。

和我比起来,狗是个更好的邮差。But The Chinese Did

One day Tom said to one of his friends, “I’m going to have a holiday in Beijing. But I don’t speak Chinese, so I’ll go to evening classes and have Chinese lessons for a month before I go.

He studied very hard for a month, and then his holidays began and he went to China.

When he came back a few weeks later, his friend said to him, “Did you have any trouble with your Chinese friend when you were in Beijing, Tom?”

“No, I didn’t have any trouble with it,” answered Tom,“But the Chinese did.”

speak[spik]vt.说

month[mn]n.月

week[wik]n.星期

trouble[trbl]n.麻烦

evening[ivni]n.傍晚

中国人遇到了

一天,汤姆对他的一个朋友说:“我准备去中国度假。但是,我不会讲汉语,因而我要在去之前,先去上课,学一个月的汉语。”

他努力学习了一个月,接着他的假期开始了,他去了中国。

几个星期后他回来了,他的朋友对他说:“汤姆,你在北京时,你和你的中国朋友们遇到过麻烦吗?”“没有,我没遇到任何麻烦,”汤姆回答。“不过中国人遇到了。”Time Is Money

As the taxi came to a stop at the traffic light, Jim asked the driver, “Do you agree that ‘Time is money’?”

“Well, It’s a very common saying. Who will care so much about that?”the driver answered.

“Look, the digits in the meter are still running when the car has stopped.”Jim pointed at the meter.

“Oh, yes. You’ve got a point here. In this case, time is money for both of us,”added the driver.

taxi[tksi]n.出租车

traffic[trfik]n.交通

common[kmn]adj.普遍的

driver[draiv]n.司机

meter[mit]n.计价器

digit[didit]n.数字

时间就是金钱

出租车在红绿灯处停下来时,吉姆问司机:“你同意‘时间就是金钱’这句话吗?“哦,这是个常用谚语。谁会太在意呢?”司机问道。“看,汽车在停下来时,计价器上的数字仍在不停地跳着。”吉姆指向那个计价器。“噢,是的。你说到重点了。在这种情况下,时间对于我们俩都是金钱。”司机补充道。Delicious

A Hollywood producer decided to give his mother a birthday gift. He wanted his gift to be better than any of his brother’r. He heard about a wonderful bird which could talk in twelve languages and sing ten famous operas. He immediately bought the bird and sent it to his mother. It cost him S|50,000.

The day after her birthday, he phoned his mother.“What did you think of the bird, Mother?” he asked eagerly. His mother said, “Delicious!”

producer[prdjus]n.制片人

decide[disaid]vi.决定

sing[si]vt.唱

famous[feims]adj.著名的

opera[pr]n.歌剧

味道好极了

一位好莱坞制片人决定送给他母亲一份生日礼物。他希望他送的礼物是所有兄弟中最好的。他听说有一只非常棒的鸟能用十二种语言说话,还会唱十首著名的歌剧。他立即买了这只鸟,把它送给了他的母亲。这只鸟值5万美元。

在母亲生日的第二天,他打电话:“妈妈,您觉得那只鸟怎么样?”他急切地问道。他的母亲说:“味道好极了!”Double Vision

Early one morning, dressed in old clothes, without make up and my hair in rollers, I rushed to the petrol station to order new tyres. The workers told me they’d be ready to go to work.

After work when I returned to the station, I was neatly-dressed, well made up and my hair was nicely combed. I said to the worker, “I’m here to pick up the tyres.”

“They’re ready, Miss, ” he answered. “Your mother was here this morning and ordered them.”

dress[dres]vt.穿

makeup[meikp]n.化妆

roller[rul]n.卷,轴

rush[r]vi.冲

ready[redi]adj.准备好的

两种称呼

一天早晨,我穿着旧衣服,也没化妆,头发还带着发卷,就冲到了加油站,订购了一些新车胎。工人们告诉我他们很快去准备。

下班后,我来到加油站时,我穿得很整洁,也化了妆,我的头发也梳得漂亮了。我对工人们说:“我来这儿取货的。”“小姐,它们准备好了,”他回答道,“你母亲早上来这儿已订购了。”Have You Had Lunch?

John is an American student. He studies in Beijing. One day, when he was going shopping by bike, a young Chinese man passed by “Have you had lunch?” the young man asked in Chinese. He thought it was usual when we met at the meal time, but the American felt very strange. To American, “Have you had lunch” means“I haven’t either. Come on, let’s go together and get something to eat!” or “If you haven’t, I’m going to ask you to my place to have a meal.” John thought why the Chinese always ask me this question? Don’t they know I can cook and I have enough money?

student[stjudnt]n.学生

shop[p]vi.买东西

strange[streind]adj.奇怪的

pass[pas]vi.经过

cook[kuk]vi.烹饪

您吃了吗?

约翰是一个美国学生,他在北京学习。有一天,他骑自行车去买东西时,一个中国年轻人从他身边经过。“你吃了吗?年轻人用汉语问。他认为在吃饭时间问这句话很平常。但是这个美国人却感到非常奇怪。对于美国人来说“你吃了吗?”意味着“我也没吃,走吧,我们一起去吃点什么!”或者是“如果你没吃,我想邀请你到我那儿吃一顿”。约翰想为什么中国人老是问我这个问题,难道他们不知道我也会做饭,并且有足够的钱?Is It A Punishment?

One Sunday morning, a minister was telling his congregation that their church was badly in need of repairs. Several of the people stood up to say that they would be glad to give five or ten dollars each in order to make the necessary repairs. But the richest man in the town only stayed in his seat and said nothing.

Suddenly a small piece of the ceiling fell down right on the rich man’s head. He immediately stood up and announced that he would give one hundred dollars. A man in the back row looked up toward the ceiling and said solemnly, “Hit him again, oh Lord! Hit him again.”

minister[minist]n.牧师

congregation[kngrigein]n.教徒

church[tt]n.教堂

solemnly[slmli]adv.严肃地

several[sevrl]adj.几个

这是惩罚吗?

一个星期天的早晨,一名教士告诉他的教徒,这个教堂急需修理了。几个人站起来说他们很乐意每人出五美元或十美元来支付必要的修理费用。但这城里最富有的人只待在座位上,什么也没说。

突然,一小块天花板掉下来正好砸在那个富人的头上。他立即站起来,宣布说他要捐款100美元。一个坐在后排的人朝天花板看去,严肃地说:“再打他一下。噢,上帝!再打他一下。”The Boy In The River

One day a boy was playing in a stream when he stumbled and fell into a deep pool. As he could not swim, he began to shout and cry for help, waving his arms and kicking his legs as he tried not to sink.

Just when he was beginning to think he would drown, an old man came walking past on the river bank.

“You stupid child,”said the man.“You know you should not play in that river. How many times have you been told that it is dangerous? Your mother ought to give you a good spanking.”

“Oh please,” spluttered the boy as he struggled to keep his head above water.“I will listen to as many lectures, as you like, but please, please save first.”

stream[strim]n.小溪

stumble[stmbl]vi.绊倒

pool[pul]n.水地

wave[weiv]vi.摇,挥动

kick[kik]vi.蹬,踢

一天,一个男孩在一条小溪里玩耍时绊倒了,掉进了一个很深的池塘。因为他不会游泳,他开始喊着哭着叫救命,还挥动着手臂,踢着腿尽量不使自己沉下去。

正当他开始想他要淹死时,一位老人从河岸边走过来。“你这傻孩子,”那人说,“你知道你不应该在那条河里玩了吗?告诉你多少次这是很危险的?你妈妈应该好好打你的屁股。”“噢,求求您”男孩一边急促地说,一边奋力挣扎着好让自己的头露出水面,“只要你愿意,我会一直听你讲。不过,请,请先救我。”Jump

Betty is a fourth-year student. She is good at jumping. The school sports meeting will be held on May 4th and she entered her name for the high jump and the long jump. But two days later she fell from a ladder and hurt her right foot. Her parents sent her to the nearest hospital. The first word she asked the doctor was, “Can I jump in seven days, doctor? I don’t like to miss our school sports meeting.” Without a word, the doctor looked her over carefully and said, “Don’t worry. It’s not badly hurt, your foot will be much better by the end of April. On May 4th you are able to run and jump at sports meeting.”

miss[mis]vt.错过

jump[dmp]vi.跳

worry[wri]vt.担心

enter[ent]vt.进入

better[bet]adj.good的比较级

跳跃

贝蒂是四年级学生,她擅长跳跃。学校运动会将在五月四日举行,她报名参加跳高和跳远。但是两天后她从梯子上摔了下来,跌伤了右脚。她的父母送她去了最近的医院。她问大夫的第一句话是:“大夫,七天后我能跳吗?我不想错过学校运动会。”大夫没说话,仔细地为她做了检查,然后说:“别担心,伤得不重。到四月底,你的脚就会好了。五月四日你就能在运动会上又跑又跳了。”A Stupid Man

One day, a young man was cutting a branch off a tree. An old man saw him and said,“Excuse me, but if you keep cutting the branch like that, you will fall down with it.” He said this because the young man was sitting on the branch when he was cutting. The young man didn’t listen to him. He thought that the old man had nothing to do and wanted to teach other people. Of course, after a few minutes, the branch fell and that the young man fell at the same time.“My God!” he cried, “The old man knows the future!”So he ran after him to ask how long he would be able to live. But the old man was gone.

cut[ct]vt.切,砍

listen[lisn]vi.听

cry[krai]vi.叫,喊

sit[sit]vi.坐

ran[rn]vi.run的过去式

一个傻瓜

一天,一个年轻人正从一棵树上砍树枝。一个老人看见了,说:“打扰一下,如果照你这样砍下去,你会和树枝一起掉下来。”老头所以这样说,是因为那个年轻人正坐在他正在砍的树枝上。年轻人不听,他以为老头没事干,要来教训别人。当然,过了一会儿树枝掉了下来,年轻人也同时摔下来。“上帝!”他喊道,“那老头未卜先知!”因此,他去追赶老头,要问自己能活多长时间,但是老头已经走了。Something Good To Know

Jimmy and his older brother Bill were playing catch in the back yard. Bill was trying to help Jimmy improve his game. Bill threw a fast ball, and Jimmy caught it.

“Now I’m going to throw you a hard one,” called Jimmy. Jimmy put all his strength behind the next ball. As he threw it, he lost his balance and slipped on the grass. Down he went, hitting his head against the back steps. What an uproar Jimmy made!

The game was forgotten. Bill ran over to help and saw that a large bump was sprouting on Jimmy’s head. He knew that something very cold would lessen the pain.

If there had been no ice, Bill could have used cold water. Anything cold often lessens both pain and swelling.

yard[jad]n.庭院

slip[slip]vi.滑

try[trai]vt.尝试

balance[blns]n.平衡

step[step]n.台阶

有用的常识

吉姆和哥哥比尔正在后院玩接球游戏。比尔想帮助吉姆提高玩球的水平。比尔扔了一个快球,吉姆接到了。“现在我要扔给你一个有难度的球。”吉姆喊道。吉姆用尽全力扔过去,结果他扔球时失去了平衡,跌倒在草地上。他倒下时,头撞到后面的台阶,吉姆大叫了一声。

游戏被抛在一边。比尔立即跑过去帮助,只见吉姆的头撞出一个大包。比尔知道凉的东西能缓解疼痛。

比尔用毛巾裹上一些冰块,放在肿胀处。一会儿吉姆就停止了哭叫。如果没有冰,比尔也可以用凉水。凡是凉的东西都能缓解疼痛和肿胀。Lion And Mouse

One fine day a mouse happened to run over the paw of a sleeping lion.x The lion awoke and started to hit the mouse with his huge paw.

“Oh, please don’t do that, Mr. King,”said the mouse.“I am not very much to eat and you will still be hungry. Besides, if you spare my life, I may be able to help you some day.”

The lion laughed at the idea that a little mouse could help a great lion, but he did not kill the mouse.

A few days later the lion was walking in the forest and became caught in a hunter’s net. He roared until everyone in the forest could hear him.

The little mouse heard him too. He ran quickly to the net and began to gnaw at the ropes that held the lion. It didn’t take him long to break the ropes and set the lion free.

mouse[maus]n.老鼠

net[net]n.网

paw[pau]n.爪子

forest[frist]n.森林

spare[sp]vt.宽恕

狮子和老鼠

一个晴朗的日子,一只老鼠碰巧跑到一只熟睡的狮子的爪子上。狮子醒过来用它巨大的爪子打老鼠。

老鼠说:“噢,尊敬的国王,请不要这样做。我不够你吃,即使吃了我你还会饿的。如果你不吃掉我,总有一天我会帮助你的。”

小老鼠能帮助大狮子,狮子嘲笑老鼠的想法,但它没有杀死老鼠。A Journey With Mark Twain

One day Mark Twain met a friend in England. This friend came up to him and said,“I am broke. I wish you could buy me a ticket back to London.”

“Well,” Mark Twain said.“I am nearly broke myself, but I know what we can do. You can hide under my seat in the train and I will hide you with my legs.” The friend agreed.

Mark Twain, however, went to the ticket-office and bought two tickets. When the train pulled out, his friend was safely under the seat. The conductor came around for the tickets, then asked, “Where is the other one?”

Looking at the conductor, the great writer laughed and said in a loud voice, “That is my friend’s ticket. You see, he is a little crazy and would like to hide under the seat.”

meet[mit]vt.遇见

hide[haid]vi.躲藏

agree[gri]vi.同意

pull[pul]vt.拉

voice[vis]n.声音

与马克·吐温同行

一天,马克·吐温在英国遇见一位朋友。这位朋友朝他走来,说:“我破产了。我希望你能给我买一张回伦敦的票。”“嗯,”马克·吐温,“我自己也几乎破产了,不过我知道我们该怎么办。在火车上你藏在我的座位下,我用腿把你挡起来。”这位朋友同意了。

然而,马克·吐温去售票厅买了两张票。当火车驶出站时,他的朋友藏在座位下。列车员看看票环视四周问:“你的朋友在哪?”

列车员请看这,“那是我朋友的票。你看,他很小并且非常喜欢在座位下面。”Still Want To Buy

My mother and my wife both nurses-were shopping together when a woman in a nearby dressing room fell unconscious. Mum discovered that the woman wasn’t breathing, so she and my wife gave the woman first aid at once. A few minutes later, the woman came to at last. When she opened her mouth, my mother and my wife thought maybe she wanted to thank them, but instead she said,“I still want to buy that dress.”

wife[waif]n.妻子

nurse[ns]n.护士

shop[p]vi.购买

unconscious[nkns]adj.不省人事的

discover[diskv]vt.发现

依然想买

我妈妈和我的妻子都是护士。她们正一起在商场购物。这时一位妇女在旁边的一间试衣室里昏倒了。妈妈发现那位妇女没有呼吸了,于是她和我妻子立刻对她实施急救。几分钟后,那位妇女终于苏醒过来,当她张开她的嘴的时候,我妈妈和我妻子认为她可能是要向她们表示感谢,可是她说的却是:“我还是要买那件衣服。”Neck

Four-year-old Johnny came running into the house.

“Mummy, do you know Jacky Brown’s neck?”

His mother did not answer this apparently irrelevant question.

“Mummy, I said—you know Jacky Brown’s neck?”

“Well, yes,”his mother capitulated.“I suppose I do know Jacky’s neck. Why?”

“Well, just now he fell into the pond up to it.”

know[nu]vt.知道

neck[nek]n.脖子

answer[ans]n.回答

pond[pd]n.池塘

apparently[prntli]adv.明显地

脖子

四岁的乔尼跑进了屋子。“妈妈,您知道杰西·布朗的脖子吗?”

他的妈妈没有回答这个看来不着边际的问题。“妈妈,我说——您知道杰西·布朗的脖子吗?”“噢,是的,”他的妈妈投降了,“我想我知道杰西·布朗的脖子。什么事呢?”“噢,刚才他掉到池塘里没(mò)了脖子。”Used On The Premises

When Mark Twain went to borrow a book from a neighbor’s library the owner said he would be happy to accommodate him again, but he had adopted a rule that any volume taken from his library must be used on the premises.

The next week the neighbor dropped over for the loan of Mark’s lawn mower.“Take it and welcome!” chirruped Mark, “only under a recently adopted policy it is not to be used away from my own lawn!”

borrow[bru]vt.借

neighbor[neib]n.邻居

library[laibrri]n.图书馆

volume[vljum]n.册

premise[premis]n.前提

使用的前提

当马克·吐温到一个邻居的图书馆借书的时候,主人说他会乐于再一次帮助他,但是他有一个原则,任何从他的图书馆里借的书籍都必须在某些前提条件下使用。

过了一个星期这位邻居为了借用割草机来拜访马克。“欢迎使用!”马克哼哼唧唧地说:“不过最近的原则是使用时不要离开我的草坪。”Fox And Grapes

One very hot day a fox was walking along a country road. It was so hot that the fox became very thirsty. After a while he saw some grapes growing on a wall. The grapes were very high up on that wall but the fox said, “I must have those grapes.”

He jumped and jumped, but he could not jump high enough to get the grapes. He became more hot and more thirsty.

At last the fox gave up and walked on down the road. As he walked along and said, “Oh, well, I didn’t want those old grapes anyway I’m sure that they are sour and not good to eat.”

thirsty[sti]adj.口渴的

hot[ht]adj.热的

grape[greip]n.葡萄

more[m]adv.更加地

sour[s]adj.酸的

狐狸和葡萄

有一天,天气非常炎热,一只狐狸正沿着乡间的小路走着。天太热了,狐狸觉得很渴。走了一会儿,他看见墙上长着一些葡萄。墙上的葡萄太高了,但是狐狸却说:“我一定要得到这些葡萄。”

他跳啊跳!但他跳得不够高,够不到葡萄。他变得更热,而且更渴了。

最后狐狸放弃了,继续往前走。他一边走一边说:“哦!我根本就不想要那些老葡萄。我肯定那些葡萄是酸的,而且很不好吃。”White Lies

One day, Lillian Carter, mother of James Earl Carter was interviewed by an aggressive reporter.

“Your son,”the reporter said, “has been traveling the country, telling people not to vote for him if he ever lies to them. As the President’s mother, can you say he’s never lied?”

“Well, perhaps a little white lie now and then,”Miss Lillian replied.

“And what,”asked the reporter,“Is the difference between a white lie and any other lie?”“Would you tell us what a white lie is.”

“I’m not sure I can give you the right answer,” Miss Lillian said sweetly, “but I can give you an example. When you came in the door a few minutes ago and I told you how good you looked and how glad I was to see you.”

interview[intvju]n.会见,会谈

vote[vut]vi.投票

aggressive[gresiv]adj.敌意的

lie[lai]n.谎言

reporter[ript]n.记者

无恶意的谎言

一天,一位爱寻衅的记者采访了詹姆斯·厄尔·卡特的母亲莉莲·卡特。“你的儿子,”记者说,“在巡游全国时对人们说如果他曾经说过谎,就不要投他的票。作为总统的母亲,你能说他从来没撒过谎吗?”“嗯,也许撒过一些无恶意的谎言。”莉莲夫人回答道。

记者问:“那么无恶意的谎言和其它的谎言之间有什么区别呢?你能告诉我们什么是无恶意的谎言吗?”“我不能肯定我会给你一个正确的答案,”莉莲夫人甜甜地说,“不过我可以给你举一个例子:你几分钟前进门时,我告诉你你长得很好看,我见到你又很高兴。”Wind And The Sun

The wind and the sun were having a fight about which of them was the stronger.

“I am the strongest thing that ever was,”said the sun.“Nothing can stand against me.”

“My strength is far greater than yours,”said the wind.

“All right,”said the sun.“Let’s see who is stronger. See that man down there? If you can make that man take off his coat, you are stronger than I am.”

The wind tried first. He blew as hard as he could. The harder he blew the tighter the man wrapped his coat around himself. He did not take it off.

“All right,” said the sun.“Now it is my turn.”The sun came out from behind the cloud and shone down on the man. After a while the man unbuttoned his coat. The sun grew a little warmer, and in a few minutes, the man took off his coat.

wind[wind]n.风

wrap[rp]vt.裹

fight[fit]n.打架

blow[blu]vt.吹

coat[kut]n.外衣

风和太阳

风和太阳正在为谁更强大而争吵着。

太阳说:“我是所有事物中最强大的。没有什么能战胜我。”

风说:“我的力量比你更大。”

太阳说:“行。让我们看看谁更强大。看见站在那边的那个人了吗?如果你能使那个人脱掉外衣,你就比我强大。”

风先试。他尽其所能地吹风。风吹得越大,那个男人把衣服裹得越紧,他没能让那人脱掉外衣。

太阳说:“好吧!现在该轮到我了。”太阳从云后出来照到那个人身上。过了一会儿,那人解开了衣服的钮扣。太阳更暖了,几分钟之后,男人脱掉了外衣。Gold Eggs

A farmer and his wife once had a goose which laid a solid gold egg every day. Each evening they settled it safely in its pen in the corner of their kitchen with a plate of the best corn and a bowl of fresh water. Each morning they found a new, bright yellow egg in its nest.

One day the farmer’s wife said to her husband,“These eggs are all very well, my dear, but though we will be rich in the end, it is a very slow way of making a fortune. It’s wise for us to get rich as quickly as we can. Now I have an idea. It is clear to me that there must be a lot of golden eggs inside our goose. Why should we wait all our lives for her to lay them? Go and get the knife and we’ll get the gold now.”

farmer[fam]n.农夫

nest[nest]n.巢

goose[gus]n.鹅

solid[slid]adj.坚固的

wise[waiz]adj.聪明的

金蛋

从前,一位农夫和他的妻子养了一只鹅,这只鹅每天都要下一个很硬的金蛋。每天晚上他们都把它稳妥地放进厨房拐角处的围栏里,并放一盆最好的玉米和一碗清水。每天早晨他们就会在巢里发现一个新鲜的,亮而黄的蛋。

一天,农夫的妻子对她丈夫说:“亲爱的,这些蛋都非常好。虽然我们最终会富有,可这样赚钱太慢了。我们要聪明些,尽愉变得富起来。现在我有一个主意。我很清楚这只鹅的肚子里有许多金蛋。为什么我们一定要等它给我们下蛋呢?去拿刀来,这样现在我们就可以得到金子了。”A Warmhearted Man

Mr. White went into his usual tea shop one morning, and sat on one of the seats at the counter. Many other people came in also, but none of them stayed long.

About fifteen minutes later, a young man and a young woman came in. There were only two empty seats at the counter, one on Mr. White’s left, the other on his right. The woman sat on one seat, and the young man sat on the other, but Mr. White immediately asked to change places with the young man so that he and the young woman could be together.

“Oh,that isn’t necessary,”the young man said, but Mr.White insisted. When the young man and the young woman were side by side, he said to her,“Well, this old man is very kind. He wanted us to sit together, so may I introduce myself? My name is Jew. What’s your name?”

usual[juul]adj.平常的

necessary[nesisri]adj.必要的

counter[kaunt]n.柜台

insist[insist]vi.坚持

empty[empti]adj.空的

热心人

一天早上,怀特先生进了那家他平常常去的茶店,在柜台前的一个座位上坐了下来。其他许多人也进来了,不过没有一个人待的时间比较长。

大约15分钟后,一个小伙子和一个年轻女孩进来了。柜台前只有两张空位子,一个在怀特左边,另一个在右边。那女孩坐在其中一个座位上,小伙子坐了另外一个。怀特先生立即要求和那小伙子换个座位,好让他和女孩坐在一起。“噢,不必了。”小伙子说,但是怀特先生一直坚持。当小伙子和那位女孩肩并肩坐在一起时,他对她说:“好吧,这位老人非常热心。他想让我们坐在一起,那么,我可以作一下自我介绍吗?我的名字叫朱。你叫什么名字?”On Fire

There were many guests in a country house. One midnight it was suddenly on fire. The guests rushed outside when they heard the alarm. They did not even have time to put to their clothes. They were covered with blankets and overcoats. They were watching the flame when another guest joined them.

“Why. did you got so excited?…”he asked.“Now look at me. When I heard the alarm, I got out of bed, lighted a cigarette and quietly dressed myself. I even changed my tie. put on my best one. I didn’t lose my head at all. I never get excited before danger or difficulty.”

“That’s good,”said one of his friends. “But why didn’t you put on your trousers?” And all the others laughed.

guest[gest]n.客人

flame[fleim]n.火苗

rush[r]vi.冲

tie[tai]n.领带

alarm[lam]n.警报

着火了

在乡下的一所房子里有很多客人。半夜里,突然着火了。客人们听到警报就冲了出来。他们甚至没时间穿衣服了,就用毛毯和大衣遮着身体。他们看火焰时,另外一位客人也加入进来。“为什么你们变得如此激动?……”他问道,“现在看看我,我听到警报声时,下了床,点燃根香烟,静静地穿好衣服,我甚至都换了领带,戴了条最好看的领带。我可一点都没昏头,我在危险和困难面前从来不太过激动。”No Smoking

Mrs. Green was the manager of a large company, and she often had to have meetings with other business people in a room in her building. She did not smoke at all, but many of the other people smoked at the meeting. She often found the air terrible. One day, after an hour, she was coughing a lot, so she called a big air-conditioning company. She asked them to work out how much it would cost to keep the air really clean.

After a few days, the air-conditioning company sent in two estimates for Mrs. Gneen to choose from. One estimate was for S|5,000 to put in new air-conditioner, and the other was for S|500 for a sign which said: NO SMOKING.

manager[mnid]n.经理

cough[kf]vi.咳嗽

company[kmpni]n.公司

air-conditioning 空调

smoke[smuk]vi.吸烟

禁止吸烟

格林夫人是一家大公司的经理,她必须经常和那些生意人在她楼里的一间办公室开会。她根本不抽烟,但会上的其他人抽。她经常发现空气很糟糕。一天,开会一个小时后她开始咳嗽,并且咳得十分厉害,于是她叫来一家空调公司,让他们计算一下真正保持空气清洁要花多少钱。

几天后,那家空调公司给格林夫人送了两份估价单供选择。一种估价是用5000美元安装一台新空调,另外一种估价是花500美元贴一张告示牌,上面写着“禁止吸烟”。Three Wishes

A man and his wife were very poor. They kept hoping for new clothes and food. The man enjoyed eating and liked pancake especially. One night an old woman came to their house and told them she would let them have 3 wishes. They could wish for anything they wanted.

The man had just finished eating a little bread for his dinner, and he was still hungry. He said,“I wish I had a big pancake!”Suddenly a pancake appeared on his plate.“You fool!”his wife said.“You could have wished for a house full of wonderful food, but you wished a pancake, I wish that pancake was on the end of your foolish nose!”Immediately the pancake stuck to the end of his nose.

Then the man and his wife started to blame each other.“It’s your fault!”the man cried. “No, it’s your fault!” she answered. What could they do? The pancake was still stuck to the husband’s nose. “Oh!”the wife cried. “I wish none of these had ever happened.” Immediately the pancake was gone, and the man was saying, “I’m still hungry. How I wish I had some pancakes!” But, of course, nothing happened. Because three wishes had finished.

wife[waif]n.妻子

hope[hup]vt.希望

enjoy[indi]vt.享受

especially[ispeli]adv.特别地

appear[pi]vi.出现

三个愿望

一个男人和他的妻子非常穷困。他们一直希望有新衣服和食物。这个男人喜欢吃,尤其喜欢薄饼。一天晚上,一位上年纪的妇女来到他家告诉他们,她可以让他们实现三个愿望。他们可以要任何他们想要的东西。

这个男人刚吃完一小块面包作为晚饭,他仍旧十分饥饿。他说:“我希望有一大块薄饼!”突然,一大块薄饼出现在他的盘子里。“你这个傻子!”他的妻子说,“你本来可以要一座装满美食的大房子,但是你却要了薄饼。我真希望那块薄饼能落到你那愚蠢的鼻尖上!”那块薄饼立刻粘到了他的鼻尖上。

然后那个男人和他的妻子开始互相指责。“这是你的错!”男人大叫。“不,是你的错!”妻子回答。他们怎么办呢?那块薄饼仍旧粘在丈夫的鼻尖上。“噢!”妻子哭喊道,“我希望所有的一切都没有发生过!”薄饼立刻就消失了。那个男人说:“我还是饿,我多希望有一些薄饼啊!”当然了,什么事都没再发生,因为三个愿望都已经实现了。The Wrong Dog

Mr. and Mrs. Brown were going abroad for their holiday. They had a dog called Black. They liked him very much, but they could not take him abroad with them, so they looked for a good place which looked after dogs very well while their owners were away. They took Black there just before they left for their holiday, and sadly said goodbye to him. At the end of their holiday, they got back to England very late at night and as they thought the place couldn’t be open at that late hour, they decided to wait until the next morning before going to get him. So the next morning Mr. Brown got into his car and drove off happily to collect Black.

When he reached home with the dog, he said to his wife,“Do you know, dear, I don’t think Black can have enjoyed his stay at that place very much. He barked all the way home in the car, as if he wanted to tell me something.”

Mrs. Brown looked at the dog carefully and then answered, “You are quite right, dear. He was certainly trying to tell you something, but he was not trying to tell you that he hadn’t enjoyed his stay at that place.He was only trying to tell you that you were bringing the wrong dog home. This isn’t Black!”

owner[un]n.主人

end[end]n.结束,结尾

late[leit]adj.晚的

sadly[sdli]adv.悲伤地

collect[klekt]vt.领取

错领了狗

布朗先生和布朗夫人将要出国度假。他们有一条叫布莱克的狗。他们非常喜爱他,但是却不能带着他一起去国外。他们找了个好地方,在那里,当狗主人不在时,狗会被照看得很好。在去度假之前,他们把布莱克带到那个地方,并且难过地和它再见了。

假期结束时,他们回到了英国,到达时已是深夜了。他们想这么晚了,那个地方肯定不开门,所以他们决定等到第二天早晨,再去领回他们狗。就这样,第二天早晨布朗先生高兴地开车去接布莱克。

他带着狗回到家后,对他的妻子说:“你知道吗,亲爱的,我认为我们的布莱克在那个地方待得并不愉快。一路上它都在车里叫,就好像要告诉我一些事情。”

布朗夫人仔细地看了看狗,然后回答:“对极了,亲爱的。它确实想要告诉你些什么,但它不是想告诉你在那个地方过得并不愉快。它只是想告诉你,你错领了狗回家。它不是布莱克。”To See With One’s Own Eyes

One day the king of animals asked a cat to see how his palace was built. After a few hours, the little cat came back and said to the tiger,“Oh, your palace is very large, tall and beautiful.” Several days later the tiger asked a pig to see it. He said, “Go and see how my palace is built.” But when the pig came back, he said to the tiger,“My dear king, I thought your palace is beautiful, but it suits yourself only.”

The tiger was very surprised when he heard it. “Why are the cat’s and the pig’s answers not the same?”he said to himself. He then asked a camel to go to have a look. Before long the camel ran back out of breath and said to the tiger, “Oh,your palace is too small for you to live in, my king.”

The king became very angry when he heard what the camel said. He said to the animals angrily,“May be the three of you tell lies. Three people have three ideas. I want to kill you.”Just at the moment, a fox came out to stop the tiger from doing that. He asked the tiger himself to go to see it before killing them.

After the tiger saw the palace himself, he thought that their answers were all right. He said to the animals. “To see with one’s own eyes is more important than only to hear others.”

animal[niml]n.动物

tiger[taig]n.老虎

several[sevrl]adj.几个

camel[kml]n.骆驼

angry[ngri]adj.生气的

眼见为实

一天,百兽之王让一只小猫去看看他的宫殿建造得怎么样。几个小时之后,小猫回来了,对老虎说:“你的宫殿非常大,又高又漂亮。”几天后,老虎又让一只猪去看看。他说:“去看看我的宫殿建造得如何。”但是,猪回来之后却对老虎说:“亲爱的国王陛下,虽然您的宫殿很漂亮,但是它只容得下您自己。”

老虎听到这些话感到很吃惊。“为什么猫和猪说的话不一样呢?”老虎自语着。然后他又让一头骆驼去看一看。骆驼很快便气喘吁吁地跑回来了,它对老虎说:“我的国王,您的宫殿对于您来说,实在是太小了,都没法住。”当老虎听到骆驼所说的话时,变得非常生气。他生气地对动物们说:“你们三个人中有人说谎了。三个人有三个看法。我要处死你们。”就在这时,一只狐狸过来阻止了老虎那样做。他请求老虎在杀他们之前,自已亲自去看看。老虎亲自看完宫殿后,他认为他们的答案都是对的。他对小动物们说:“眼见为实,耳听为虚。”A Lazy Man

Two friends are having a picnic. Their names are Jim and Tim. Tim is very lazy. On the first evening of their holiday, Jim says to Tim, “Here’s some money. Go and buy some meat.”

“I’m too tired,”answers Tim. “You go.”

So Jim goes to buy the meat. Later he comes back. He says to Tim,“Now here’s the meat. Please cook it.”

But Tim answers, “No,I’m not good at cooking. You do it.” So Jim cooks the meat. T hen he say to Tim.“Go and get some water.”“No, I don’t want to get my clothes dirty.” Tim answers At last Jim says, “The meat is ready. Come and eat it.”“Yes, I’ll do that.”answers Tim. “I don’t like saying ‘No’all the time.”

picnic[piknik]n.野餐

answer[ans]n.回答

lazy[leizi]adj.懒惰的

holiday[hldi]n.假日,节日

tired[taid]adj.疲劳的

一个懒人

有两个朋友去野餐。他们的名字叫吉姆和蒂姆。蒂姆是个非常懒的人。在他们假日的第一天晚上,吉姆对蒂姆说:“给你钱,去买些肉来。”“我太累了,”蒂姆答道,“你去买吧”

于是吉姆去买肉。过了一会儿,他回来了。他对蒂姆说:“肉买来了,你来烧吧。”

可是蒂姆答道:“不,我可不怎么会做饭。还是你烧吧。吉姆又去烧肉。过一会儿他对蒂姆说:“去打些水来。”“不,我不想把衣服弄脏。”蒂姆答道。最后,吉姆说:“肉烧好了,来说吧。”“当然,我会吃的。”蒂姆回答,我不想总说‘不’。”Traveller

In ancient Greece there once lived a clever man. His name was Aesop. One day when Aesop was taking a walk in the country, a traveller stopped him and said, “Kind sir, can you tell me how soon I can get to town?”

“Go,” Aesop answered.

“I know I must go,” said the traveller.“But I want to know how soon I can get to town.”

“Go,”Aesop shouted to him.

The traveller was very angry. “This man must be mad,”he thought, and he walked away.

Suddenly he heard Aesop shouting to him, “You will get to town in two hours.” The traveller was greatly surprised. He turned back and asked, “Why didn’t you tell me that before?”

“How could I have told that before?” answered Aesop. “I didn’t know how fast you could walk.”

ancient[einnt]adj.古老的

Greece[gris]n.希腊

traveller[trvl]n.旅行者

mad[md]adj.疯狂的

suddenly[sdnli]adv.突然地

伊索和旅行者

从前,古希腊有一位聪明人,他叫伊索。一天,伊索正在乡下散步时,一位旅行者叫住他,对他说:“仁慈的先生,你能告诉我进城还要走多长时间?”“走,”伊索回答道。“我知道我必须走,”旅行者说,“不过我想知道要走多长时间。”“走,”伊索对他喊道。

旅行者非常生气。“这人一定是疯了,”他想,随后他便走开了。

突然,他听到伊索对他喊道:“两个小时后你就进城了。”

旅行者非常吃惊,他扭过头来问道:“为什么这之前你不告诉我呢?”“之前我怎么能告诉你呢?”伊索回答道:“那时我还不知道你能走多快。”Fire

In every fire station, firemen are always ready to go out at once if they are needed to fight a fire.

One night the telephone bell in a certain fire station rang. One of the firemen picked up the telephone and said,“Fire station. Can I help you?”

A very excited voice at the other end answered, “Fire! Fire!”

“Where is it ?”asked the fireman.

“In my house!”came the excited answer.“Come quickly, or it will be burnt down!”

“But in what place is the fire?”asked the fire-man

“In the kitchen!”answered the excited voice.

“Yes, but how can we get to your place?” the fireman continued patiently.

“Haven’t you got a fire-engine to come in?”was the surprised answer.

fireman[faimn]n.消防员

ready[redi]adj.准备好的

kitchen[kitin]n.厨房

voice[vis]n.声音

continue[kntinju]vi.继续

救火

在每个消防点,如果需要消防队员去救火时,他们会马上准备出发的。一天晚上,某个消防站的电话铃响了,其中一名消防队员拿起电话,说道:“消防站,你需要帮忙吗?”

电话另一头传来一个非常激动的声音回答道:“着火了!着火了!”“在哪儿?”消防队员问道。“我家里!”那人激动地回答道,“快过来,要不会烧掉的!”“可是火在什么地方?”消防队员问道。“在厨房!”那人回答。“好的,不过我们怎样才能到你那里?”那名消防队员仍继续耐心地问道。“难道你们不开救火车来吗?”那人吃惊地问道。Do You Know Who I Am

One night a hotel was on fire, and the people who were staying in it ran out in their night clothes. Two of them were now standing outside and watching the fire.

“Before I came out,” said one. “I ran into some of the rooms and found a lot of money there. People don’t think of money when they’re frightened. When anyone leaves paper money in a fire, the fire burns it. So I took all the bank notes that I could find. Everyone will be poor because I took them.”

“You don’t know me,” said the other. “And you don’t know my work.”

“What’s your work?”

“I’m a policeman.”

“The first man laughed and said, And do you know who I am?”

“No,” said the policeman.

“To tell you the turth, I’m a writer. I’m always tellings stories about things that never happened.”

frighten[fraitn]vt.害怕

burn[bn]vi.燃烧

truth[tru]n.真相

laugh[laf]vi.笑

happen[hpn]vi.发生

一天晚上,一个旅馆着火了,待在旅馆里的人穿着他们的睡衣跑了出来。有两个人跑出来后站在外面,看着火。

一个说:“我出来前,跑进几个房间里,发现那里有许多钱。人们惊吓时就想不起钱了。若有人把纸币落在火中,火会把它烧掉了,因此我就拿走了我能找到的所有钞票,人们却一无所有了,因为我拿走了所有的钱。”“你不认识我,”另外一个说,“你也不了解我的工作。”“你是干什么的?”“我是警察。”

第一个人笑着说:“你知道我是谁?”“不知道,”警察说。“告诉你真相吧,我是作家,我总是在讲那些从没发生的故事。”A Foot Race

A friend of mine works for a gas company. While he and a younger employee were checking the meter at a woman’s home, my friend challenged his co-worker to a foot race to prove that an older guy could outrun a younger one.

As they came tearing round a corner, they realized the lady of the house was huffing and puffing right behind them. They stopped immediately and asked her what she was doing. “When I saw two gas men running as hard as you were,” She replied, “I figured I’d better run too.”

company[kmpni]n.公司

check[tek]vt.检查

meter[mit]n.计数器

challenge[tlind]vt.挑战

huff[hf]vt.把……吹胀,愤怒

竞走比赛

我的一个朋友在一家煤气公司工作。一天他和一个年轻同事在一位女士家检查煤气表。我朋友想证实一下年长的人能超过年轻人,于是提出比赛竞走。

当他们从那位女士家出来,疾步走到一个拐弯处时,他们发现那位女士气喘吁吁地跟在后面。他们立即停步,问她要做什么。“看见你们两个煤气工人那样拼命地逃走,”她答道,“我想我也跑开为妙。”Fake Food

At the food counter in a store, a customer was complaining to the shop-assistant.

“I don’t want this box of food. Please give my money back.”

“Sorry, Madam. You know, food cannot be returned after it is sold,” the assistant explained.

“But I can’t pay for this fake food,” the customer insisted.

“How can you prove that this is fake food?” the assistant asked angrily.

“Look at the label on the box. The Date of Production: June 31, 1996. How can you prove that there are thirty-one days in June?”the customer asked.

counter[kaunt]n.柜台

fake[feik]adj.假的

prove[pruv]vt.证明

label[leibl]n.标签

production[prdkn]n.生产

假货

在一家商店的食品柜台前,一位顾客在向店员抱怨。“我不想要这盒食品了,请退还我的钱。”“对不起,夫人,您知道食品在售出后,一律不退换的。”店员解释道。“可是我不能买假货呀,”顾客坚持道。你怎么能证实这是假货呢?”店员生气地问道。“看盒上的标签,生产日期是:1996年6月31日,你怎么证明6月有31天呢?”顾客问。In A Dilemma

My father was watching TV in the living room when Mom called out from the kitchen, “What do you want for dinner, hamburger or chicken?”

“Anything you pick is fine with me,” replied Dad.

“No, really,” mother went on. “What would you rather have?”

“Again my father said whichever made her happy made him happy. She thereupon spent the next five minutes insisting that he choose. Dad finally gave in.“All right, Let’s have hamburger.”With that, mother ran in from the kitchen saying,“What’s the matter you don’t like my chicken?”

dilemma[dilem]n.困境

kitchen[kitin]n.厨房

hamburger[hmbg]n.汉堡包

choose[tuz]vt.选择

finally[fainli]adv.最终地

左右为难

爸爸在卧室里看电视,妈妈在厨房喊道:“你想吃什么饭,汉堡包还是鸡肉?”

试读结束[说明:试读内容隐藏了图片]

下载完整电子书


相关推荐

最新文章


© 2020 txtepub下载