没有被斗败的人(外研社双语读库)(txt+pdf+epub+mobi电子书下载)


发布时间:2020-08-08 15:32:31

点击下载

作者:[美] 海明威(Ernest Hemingway)

格式: AZW3, DOCX, EPUB, MOBI, PDF, TXT

没有被斗败的人(外研社双语读库)

没有被斗败的人(外研社双语读库)试读:

L'ENVOI跋

The king was working in the garden. He seemed very glad to see me. We walked through the garden. This is the queen, he said. She was clipping a rose bush. Oh how do you do, she said. We sat down at a table under a big tree and the king ordered whiskey and soda. We have good whiskey anyway, he said. The revolutionary committee, he told me, would not allow him to go outside the palace grounds. Plastiras is a very good man I believe, he said, but frightfully difficult. I think he did right though shooting those chaps. If Kerensky had shot a few men things might have been altogether different. Of course the great thing in this sort of an affair is not to be shot oneself!

国王在花园里劳作。看到我,他似乎很高兴。我们一路穿过花园。这位是王后,他向我介绍。她正在修剪一丛玫瑰。噢,你好啊,她说。我们在大树下的桌子旁坐下,国王命人端来威士忌苏打水。不管怎样,我们的威士忌很出色,他说。他告诉我,革命委员会不允许他走出宫殿。我相信帕拉斯蒂拉斯是个很好的人,他说,就是极其难说话。我觉得他做得对,尽管他杀掉了那些小伙子。如果是克伦斯基杀了几个人,那情况可能就完全不同了。当然,这类事件发生时,最重要的是自己不能死在枪下!

It was very jolly. We talked for a long time. Like all Greeks he wanted to go to America.

我们的交谈很愉快。我们谈了很久。跟所有希腊人一样,他梦想着到美国去。The Undefeated没有被斗败的人

Manuel Garcia climbed the stairs to Don Miguel Retana's office. He set down his suitcase and knocked on the door. There was no answer. Manuel, standing in the hallway, felt there was someone in the room. He felt it through the door.

曼努埃尔·加西亚上了楼,来到唐米格尔·雷塔纳的办公室门前。他放下手提箱,敲了敲门。没人应答。曼努埃尔站在过道里,感觉到房间里有人。隔着门,他能感觉得到。

"Retana," he said, listening.“雷塔纳。”他叫道,听着里面的反应。

There was no answer.

没人应答。

He's there, all right, Manuel thought.

他就在里面,没错,曼努埃尔想。

"Retana," he said and banged the door.“雷塔纳。”他一边叫一边砰砰地敲着门。

"Who's there?" said someone in the office.“谁?”办公室里有人问道。

"Me, Manolo," Manuel said.“我,马诺洛。”曼努埃尔答道。

"What do you want?" asked the voice.“你有什么事?”那个声音问道。

"I want to work," Manuel said.“我来找点儿事做。”曼努埃尔说。

Something in the door clicked several times and it swung open. Manuel went in, carrying his suitcase.

门上的什么东西咔嗒咔嗒响了几声,接着,门开了。曼努埃尔提着手提箱走了进去。

A little man sat behind a desk at the far side of the room. Over his head was a bull's head, stuffed by a Madrid taxidermist; on the walls were framed photographs and bull-fight posters.

一个小个子男人,坐在房间另一头的一张桌子后面。他的头顶上方悬挂着一只公牛头,是由马德里的动物标本剥制师制作的。墙上挂着装在相框里的照片,还有斗牛海报。

The little man sat looking at Manuel.

小个子男人坐在那里,看着曼努埃尔。

"I thought they'd killed you," he said.“我还以为它们要了你的命呢。”他说。

Manuel knocked with his knuckles on the desk. The little man sat looking at him across the desk.

曼努埃尔用指关节敲着桌子。小个子男人坐在那里,隔着办公桌看着他。

"How many corridas you had this year?" Retana asked.“你今年斗了几次牛?”雷塔纳问道。

"One." he answered.“一次。”他答道。

"Just that one?" the little man asked.“就那一次?”小个子男人问。

"That's all.”“就那一次。”

"I read about it in the papers," Retana said. He leaned back in the chair and looked at Manuel. Manuel looked up at the stuffed bull. He had seen it often before. He felt a certain family interest in it. It had killed his brother, the promising one, about nine years ago. Manuel remembered the day. There was a brass plate on the oak shield the bull's head was mounted on. Manuel could not read it, but he imagined it was in memory of his brother. Well, he had been a good kid. The plate said: "The Bull 'Mariposa' of the Duke of Veragua, which accepted 9 varas for 7 caballos, and caused the death of Antonio Garcia, Novillero, April 27, 1909.”“我在报纸上看到了。”雷塔纳说。他往后一仰,靠在椅背上,看着曼努埃尔。曼努埃尔抬头看着公牛标本。从前,他经常看到它。他感觉自己对它有某种家族性的兴趣。大约九年前,这头公牛杀死了他的哥哥,很有前途的那个。曼努埃尔还记得那一天。公牛头底下的盾形橡木座上有一块铜牌。曼努埃尔不认识上面的字,但是他猜想那是纪念他哥哥的。唉,他可是个好孩子。铜牌上写着:“贝拉瓜公爵的公牛‘蝴蝶’,曾被七位骑马斗牛士的长矛刺中,负伤九次;于1909年4月27日挑死见习斗牛士安东尼奥·加西亚。”

Retana saw him looking at the stuffed bull's head.

雷塔纳看到他在看公牛头标本。

"The lot the Duke sent me for Sunday will make a scandal," he said. "They're all bad in the legs. What do they say about them at the Cafe?”“公爵送来的那批星期天用的牛肯定会出丑,”他说,“腿脚全都不好。咖啡馆里的人们是怎么谈论这批牛的?”

"I don't know," Manuel said. "I just got in."“我不知道,”曼努埃尔说,“我刚来。”

"Yes," Retana said. "You still have your bag."“对啊,”雷塔纳说,“你还带着提包呢。”

He looked at Manuel, leaning back behind the big desk.

他坐在那张大办公桌后面,往后倚着,看着曼努埃尔。

"Sit down," he said. "Take off your cap."“坐吧,”他说,“摘掉帽子。”

Manuel sat down; his cap off, his face was changed. He looked pale, and his coleta pinned forward on his head, so that it would not show under the cap, gave him a strange look. "You don't look well," Retana said.

曼努埃尔坐了下来。摘掉帽子后,他的脸似乎变了个样。他看上去很苍白,短辫子从后往前别在头上,这样它就不会从帽子下露出来。他的这副打扮看起来很怪。“你看起来不大好。”雷塔纳说。

"I just got out of the hospital," Manuel said.“我刚出院。”曼努埃尔说。

"I heard they'd cut your leg off," Retana said.“听说他们把你的腿锯了。”雷塔纳说。

"No," said Manuel. "It got all right."“没有,”曼努埃尔说,“它被治好了。”

Retana leaned forward across the desk and pushed a wooden box of cigarettes toward Manuel.

雷塔纳从桌子上探过身,将装在木盒子里的香烟推到曼努埃尔跟前。

"Have a cigarette," he said.“抽支烟。”他说。

"Thanks."“谢谢。”

Manuel lit it.

曼努埃尔点了一支。

"Smoke?" he said, offering the match to Retana.“你也来一支?”他问道,把火柴递向雷塔纳。

"No," Retana waved his hand, "I never smoke."“不了,”雷塔纳摆摆手,“我从不抽烟。”

Retana watched him smoking.

雷塔纳看着他抽烟。

"Why don't you get a job and go to work?" he said.“你为什么不找份工作,去上班呢?”他问道。

"I don't want to work," Manuel said. "I am a bullfighter."“我不想工作,”曼努埃尔说,“我是个斗牛士。”

"There aren't any bullfighters any more," Retana said.“已经没有斗牛士了。”雷塔纳说。

"I'm a bullfighter," Manuel said.“我就是个斗牛士。”曼努埃尔说。

"Yes, while you're in there," Retana said.“是的,你在场上的时候才是。”雷塔纳说。

Manuel laughed.

曼努埃尔笑了。

Retana sat, saying nothing and looking at Manuel.

雷塔纳坐着,一言不发地看着曼努埃尔。

"I'll put you in a nocturnal if you want," Retana offered.“如果你愿意的话,我把你安排在夜场。”雷塔纳提议。

"When?" Manuel asked.“什么时候?”曼努埃尔问道。

"Tomorrow night."“明天夜里。”

"I don't like to substitute for anybody," Manuel said. That was the way they all got killed. That was the way Salvador got killed. He tapped with his knuckles on the table.“我不想替任何人出场。”曼努埃尔说。那些人都是这样死掉的。萨尔瓦多就是那样死的。他用指关节敲着桌子。

"It's all I've got," Retana said.“我只能做到这样了。”雷塔纳说。

"Why don't you put me on next week?" Manuel suggested.“为什么不把我安排在下周呢?”曼努埃尔提议。

"You wouldn't draw," Retana said. "All they want is Litri and Rubito and La Torre. Those kids are good."“你不卖座。”雷塔纳说,“他们想看的是李特里、鲁比托和拉托雷。这些小伙子都是好样的。”

"They'd come to see me get it," Manuel said, hopefully.“人们会来看我把牛干掉的。”曼努埃尔满怀希望地说。

"No, they wouldn't. They don't know who you are any more.”“不,他们不会来的。他们已经不知道你是谁了。”

"I've got a lot of stuff," Manuel said.“我会很多招数。”曼努埃尔说。

"I'm offering to put you on tomorrow night," Retana said. "You can work with young Hernandez and kill two novillos after the Charlots."“我把你安排在明晚,”雷塔纳说,“你可以和小埃尔南德斯合作,在滑稽斗牛之后杀两头小公牛。”

"Whose novillos?" Manuel asked.“谁的小公牛?”曼努埃尔问。

"I don't know. Whatever stuff they've got in the corrals. What the veterinaries won't pass in the daytime.”“我不知道。从他们牛栏里随便找的两头吧。白天不可能通过兽医检查的那些。”

"I don't like to substitute," Manuel said.“我不想替别人出场。”曼努埃尔说。

"You can take it or leave it," Retana said. He leaned forward over the papers. He was no longer interested. The appeal that Manuel had made to him for a moment when he thought of the old days was gone. He would like to get him to substitute for Larita because he could get him cheaply. He could get others cheaply too. He would like to help him though. Still he had given him the chance. It was up to him. "How much do I get?" Manuel asked. He was still playing with the idea of refusing. But he knew he could not refuse.“你要么去做,要么走。”雷塔纳说。他身子往前一倾,埋头看起文件来。他已经没兴趣了。回想起往昔时,他动摇过,但是这会儿他对曼努埃尔已经失去兴趣了。他想让曼努埃尔做拉里塔的替身,因为这样会很便宜。他也可以找到其他的廉价替身。不过,他愿意帮曼努埃尔一把。他还是给了他这个机会。就看他了。“我能拿多少?”曼努埃尔问。他还在想着拒绝。但他知道,他无法拒绝。

"Two hundred and fifty pesetas," Retana said. He had thought of five hundred, but when he opened his mouth it said two hundred and fifty.“二百五十比塞塔。”雷塔纳说。他本想说五百的,但是话一出口就变成了二百五十。

"You pay Villalta seven thousand," Manuel said.“你给比里亚尔塔七千呢。”曼努埃尔说。

"You're not Villalta," Retana said.“你又不是比里亚尔塔。”雷塔纳说。

"I know it," Manuel said.“我知道。”曼努埃尔说。

"He draws it, Manolo," Retana said in explanation.“他很卖座,马诺洛。”雷塔纳解释道。

"Sure," said Manuel. He stood up. "Give me three hundred, Retana."“是的。”曼努埃尔说。他站起身来。“给我三百,雷塔纳。”

"All right," Retana agreed. He reached in the drawer for a paper.“好吧。”雷塔纳同意了。他伸手在抽屉里找一份文件。

"Can I have fifty now?" Manuel asked.“现在付我五十可以吗?”曼努埃尔问。

"Sure," said Retana. He took a fifty-peseta note out of his pocket-book and laid it, spread out flat, on the table.“当然可以。”雷塔纳说。他从皮夹里拿出一张五十比塞塔的钞票,把它展平,放在桌子上。

Manuel picked it up and put it in his pocket.

曼努埃尔把钱拿起来,放进口袋。

"What about a cuadrilla?" he asked.“斗牛助手呢?”他问。

"There's the boys that always work for me nights," Retana said. "They're all right.”“有那些一直在夜里给我干活的小伙子,”雷塔纳说,“他们都不错。”

试读结束[说明:试读内容隐藏了图片]

下载完整电子书


相关推荐

最新文章


© 2020 txtepub下载